She grinned at me. "Hi, I'm Victoria," she said in an American accent. That's when we became good friends, and she told me how she was born in America and moved to Paris a couple of years back, managing to hold onto her American ways. We've been best friends.

          "So, now that I've humored you, was there a reason why you called me?" She asked, "or were you just looking for a reason to laugh?"

          I shook my head. "Remember that guy I was telling you about last year? Damien Beliena?

         She pondered my question for a moment. "You mean the one who punched that teacher?"

          I nodded. "Yeah, what about him?" she asked.

          I played with the ends of my hair. "Well, I kind of bumped into him today. And when I say I bumped into him, I mean I literally bumped into him," I said, emphasizing the meaning of my words.

          Victoria seemed to have got it, because her face lit up, understanding. "Oh my god?! Really? Isn't he supposed to be like some kind of badass or something?"

          I nodded at her. "Yeah! A badass I try to avoid."

          "So, what happened?" she asked.

          "Well he was kind of nice to me. He apologized for bumping into me and even tried to help me with my books."

          "And that's supposed to a bad thing?" she asked with a confused look.

          "Do you not remember calling him a badass a minute ago?"

          She looked at me. "This is something completely different, right?"

         I sighed and closed my eyes. She understood right away the real reason why I was so uncomfortable being close to Damien like that, or any boy for that matter. It was always something I tried to block out of my mind, and after a while I did. But it would always come back to me.

          "It's okay Amber. I'm here for you. No one is going to hurt you. It's in the past, where it should be. You don't have to be afraid," Victoria said softly.

          I took a few deep breaths and forced a smile. "Sorry for calling you so late. I'll let you go get some rest."

          She stared at me, uncertainty in her eyes. "I'm always here, if you need to talk."

         I nodded and gave her my best smile. "Yeah, I know."

         I knew she wasn't buying it. Victoria could see right through me. But she didn't show it and instead flashed me a peace sign, sighing. "Wish me luck."

         I gave her a small wave. "Bye." I flopped down onto my bed, pushing a strand of hair out of my eye. My eyelids drooped, and I really how exhausted I was. No longer able to fight, I let my drowsiness overtake me.

          Someone was gently shaking my shoulder. "Amber, honey?"

          I slowly opened my eyes and sat up. "Mama?"

         My sweet, beautiful mother smiled at me as she took a seat next to me on my bed and smoothed down the hem of her peach-colored dress. Her chestnut colored hair was styled in an elegant French braid. A diamond necklace adorned her long neck and a pair of diamond studs was the accessory to her ears. I rubbed my eyes as my mother combed my messy hair back with her long, slender fingers. "What time is it?"

         "It's seven-thirty. Your father and I were at a business party. I was worried because you didn't call me like you usually do, so we left early," Mother said. "Is everything alright? Did something happen at school today?"

          "No, momma. I was just tired, that's all," I said. "Where's papa?"

          "Papa's downstairs on the phone. Have you eaten anything?" she stood up and held out her hand." Come, I'll have Gustavo make you something to eat."

          She led me downstairs to the dining room where Papa was. I sat down at the table and watched my father pace back and forth, clearly frustrated. He was yelling into his Bluetooth, in Arabic, then Turkish, and back. Mama went to the kitchen to see Gustavo, leaving me alone with Papa.

          "I'm sorry, Kerim . . . yes, I know I'm supposed to be there . . . well, what you want me to do?! It was a family emergency," Papa said in Arabic. "It's too late to go back now . . . what . . . ? Nancy just got there . . .?"

          Papa looked up and saw me sitting there, watching him. I smiled sadly to myself. Even my own Papa failed to notice me. He turned away, embarrassed. "I'm sorry, Kerim. I have to go . . . I'll call you later . . . alright, bye," he hung up and turned to me. Amber, sweetheart, are you felling alright?" He came over to check my temperature.

          I looked up at him with sad eyes. "I'm sorry, Papa."

          He blinked, startled. "Sorry? For what?"

         "For making you leave the business party. I know it's really important for you to be there to represent your company."

          Papa pulled aside a chair from the table and sat down, facing me. "You have nothing to be sorry for. No matter what, you and you mother are more important than all the business parties combined. Never forget that, my sweet flower."

          I smiled, the heavy weight being lifted off my shoulders. Papa stroked my cheek with his thumb and pressed a gentle kiss to my forehead.

          "I don't know about you two, but I am absolutely famished." We both looked up to see Mama stride into the dining room, Gustavo pushing a cart of food right behind her. Papa and I smiled at each other.

          "I made your favorite, Amber."Gustavo said. I laughed aloud, felling like a little kid again, and dug right in, savoring this moment with my family.

Hey guys! Yeah, I know it's been a while but I really wanted to make it good and that takes time you know. Okay so I've done a bunch of editing (sorry I'm still trying to get used to watt pad). . I hope you guys like it! I'm really excited for this book to happen and I want to hear all you thoughts!

Vote!

Comment!

Tell your friends!