Chapter 29

Chapter 29

            I didn’t go to sleep until pretty late. After Gustavo left, I sat in bed thinking too many things. Thoughts of Damien and Ky kept running through my head. What was I going to do? I needed to tell Damien before someone else did and problems would start again. The last thing I needed was for Ky to open his big mouth and start trouble. But even when I did tell Damien, what would happen next? Will my parents continue with this engagement? Even without my consent? It was these loud and insistent thoughts that made sleep a difficult task. I don’t know when exactly I was able to sleep but it was pretty late when I did.

            When I woke up the next morning, I was surprised to find that I had actually slept late. Twelve in the afternoon kind of late. I was even more surprised to find that nobody decided to wake me up. I didn’t want to escape the warmth of the covers for the cold but with a grunt, I got out of bed and took a quick shower. Jeans and a sweater and I was good to go. The house was quiet for the most part and I couldn’t find Gustavo in the kitchen so I decided to make for his room. It was only when we had moved to America did Gustavo start to live with us. I didn’t understand at the time who he was and why he so suddenly became a part of our lives. My mother said that he was a friend that I could play with and not to be afraid.

When I was little, Gustavo use to make up stories that he was a magical wizard that could teleport at any given moment. I believed him. it was only until I decided to do some exploring of the house when we came to America did I discover that Gustavo lived in the house and was no magical wizard. (Although he so desperately continued to make it appear that way.) 

            Gustavo’s room was all the way on the other side of the house as when he first came here, he said he did not want to cause trouble for us and get in our way. I knocked three times and waited. “Gustavo?” No answer. I knocked again before opening the door. “I’m coming in.” Again, I waited. Still, no answer. I didn’t know it at the time when he came to live with us but my mother would later explain to me that Gustavo’s parents had died a long time ago and that he was an orphan. He was the son of friend belonging to my grandfather. My friend regarded this friend as being an uncle and when he heard of the tragic news, he couldn’t just sit and do nothing. Gustavo was the same age as Jules so it was definitely weird, at first, but gradually over time Gustavo and I became very close. He’s someone I would definitely call my brother, closer than Victoria and Jules. He’s seen me at my worst and best moments.

Gustavo is not, and has never been, the materialistic type. He could do with the same shirt and jeans and walk the streets like he owns them. In his room were only a few basic necessities. A mattress, not a bed, propped up against the wall with a couple of sheets and pillows because he’s always felt comfortable as close to the ground as possible; a simple desk and chair with some books and writing utensils for studying (Gustavo wants to be a chef, but still has to meet basic requirements); a closet; a couch (which served as his second bed) and TV. There was nothing in his room that really made it his and separated it from everyone else. I should really do more shopping.

            But he wasn’t here, where I thought he may be. His cell phone wasn’t here. Maybe he was running some errands? I went back to the kitchen, no one in sight, and decided to have some yogurt with fruit. Just as I was washing some berries to make a parfait, my phone rang. I wiped my hands on a dish towel before answering. It was Gustavo.