Chapter 45

Chapter 45

"How can a burger taste this good?" I questioned. "Man, I have been missing out."

"Hell yeah you've been," Jesse agreed.

Everyone laughed. Well, almost everyone.

"Hey, are you guys okay? Does the food not taste good?" Damien worried as he watched Gustavo, Jules and Victoria pick at their plates.

"Oh no, it's delicious," Victoria reassured him with a smile.

"Yeah, it's good," Jules agreed.

"Are you not feeling well Gustavo?" Taylor asked him.

He waved his hand. "Nah, I'm fine, don't worry about me."

Victoria sat right across from me and Jules sat on her right while Gustavo sat on her left. Damien sat on my right and Taylor on my left. Suzy and the Blackjacks sat with us at our table while Heather and the rest of them sat at another table that was brought to our large group.

I don't know how everything went from sweet to sour but it did, even I was trying to keep a brave face and enjoy the last night of freedom with people that were pretty much a family to me.

I couldn't even convey into words what I was feeling but I'm sure the look on my face said it all. I took a sip of water to try and calm my nerves. It was then I noticed how much my hand was shaking. I wiped my mouth with a napkin and stood up. "Excuse me while I use the restroom."

When I closed the stall door and put the lock into place, the smile I had carefully plastered on my face all night slowly began to crumble. I didn't cry because honestly, my fate was already sealed. There was no point in wasting more energy and tiring myself out. I had made my decision and there was no going back from it.

I heard the door open and the clack of heels across the floor.

I pulled back the small lock holding the door in place with so much force that I nearly broke my nail. I moved past Victoria and let the faucet run a steady stream of warm water.

"Are you happy Amber?" Victoria asked me while I focused on the way the pink liquid soap turned into bubbly foam on my skin.

Her sudden question caught me off guard that I had to look at her.

"What kind of question is that?" I said in response.

"If you are, I won't question you anymore," She continued. "The choices you make. The things you decide not to tell me... I'll respect it all. But, if you're not happy, then you should ask yourself if what you're doing is the right thing. Not because of everyone else, but for you. For your sake."

"I'm happy as long as everyone else is happy," I replied.

"But don't you see? You're still putting yourself behind others. You're putting their needs first."

"But that's because—"

"I know, you're a selfless person with a big heart. That's one of the many reasons why everyone loves you." She smiled and held my hands in hers. "But don't you think it's time you put yourself first?"