Chapter 20

Chapter 20 

            I made up some excuse to Taylor about not feeling well. She didn’t buy it. But she didn’t say anything either. “Okay. I hope you feel better. I’ll let Damien know.”

            I stopped. “Taylor, it’s not what you think.”

            She crossed her arms. “What do I think exactly?” Her tone was neutral and that was worse than if it was angry.

            “I don’t know. That I’m cheating or something?”

            “I never said that.”

            “You didn’t have to say anything. I can tell.”

            “The thought never crossed my mind. I’m just confused. Do you know him?” she asked.

            I sighed, feeling like I had aged a few years in just a matter of seconds. “Sort of? It’s complicated.”

            “Enlighten me.”

            “He’s someone I just met. Through my parents. I don’t know him that well. I don’t even like him that much,” I explained. “Please Taylor. I know it looks bad.”

            “Yeah, you think?” she said. “Amber, you’re a good friend and I don’t want to think that you’re that type of girl. Quite frankly, I wouldn’t really believe it. But what I will do is just warn you that given personal experience, if you’re not interested, don’t keep him hanging. He’s the one who ends up getting hurt the most.”

            I nodded. “I understand. But I swear—.”

            She cut me off. “I believe you. I’m just warning you. And I won’t mention anything if you don’t. As long as you promise it was nothing.”

            “I swear,” I said, grateful. “Thank you, Taylor.”

__________________________________________________________________

            I felt SO guilty after I left early. I found my parents in the crowd and convinced them to leave. On the ride home, I knew Ky was staring me down the entire drive. A million thoughts were running through my head and I was trying to get things under control. Technically, I wasn’t really doing anything wrong. I didn’t kiss him. I just followed him outside away from everyone in the below-freezing weather. Alone. And got questioned by Taylor. Who found us out there. Alone.

Yup. Nothing wrong. My phone rang a couple of times. Damien called and texted but I wouldn’t answer. I put my phone on silent. Out of the vision of the adults, my phone sat between the car door and my thigh, its screen flashing brightly with yet another incoming call. I stared at the flashing words until they went dark. When we pulled up to our house, I wordlessly grabbed my belongings and followed our entourage up the pathway towards the front door. Upon entering the house, I clumsily made my way up the stairs. Kicking off my heels, I collapsed on my bed and pulled my pillow to my chest. It wasn’t long before I heard a knock on the door.