Chapter 34

Chapter 34

"Okay, did he say where he was taking you?" Victoria said.

"Ice skating."

"Ooh ice skating! Very nice," she said approvingly. "Where else?"

"Anywhere we want to go I guess," I replied. "He said the rest was a surprise."

After I had hung up with Damien, the butterflies in my stomach felt like they would burst out at any given moment. I immediately told Victoria and she squealed like a little girl. "What are you going to wear?" I had no idea, and that's how we ended up standing in my closet late into the night.

"Hmm, well I guess I should work with plans for ice skating and then try to work around whatever else he might have in store," she said murmured more to herself as she browsed through some blouses. "The question is pants or a skirt? Or maybe a cute dress . . .?"

After nearly an hour of browsing and picking and trying on, we were finally able to put together an outfit for ice skating and other things. We decided on a long sleeved, knee-length solid midnight blue dress with a fitted waist and loose skirt, simple black leggings underneath, paired with black ankle boots. A lengthy dark grey blazer coat and dark green scarf complimented the outfit.

Victoria smiled. "Perfect. We'll do your makeup and hair tomorrow."

"Thanks Victoria," I sighed in relief. "You're a lifesaver."

"Don't worry Amber. You're going to have a great time," she assured me.

Even though I knew she was probably right the butterflies still wouldn't stop and I lay in bed like a nervous wreck while Victoria snoozed freely right next to me. I tossed and turned until I finally gave up and sat up in defeat. I grabbed my phone from beside my bed table and opened up my messages. The time was well after midnight; 12:45 to be exact. I wasn't sure what time Damien would be picking me up tomorrow and at this rate I was kind of hoping it wasn't early. I didn't want to go out with bloodshot eyes.

I sent him a text, hoping he would see it when he woke up. What time should I be ready?

I went to put it back on my bedside table when his name flashed across the screen. "Why are you still awake?" He asked when I picked up.

"I can't sleep," I confessed.

There was a pause. "You too?" He chuckled quietly. "I thought I was the only one."

Those simple words made my heart flutter in my chest and the butterflies to go into a frenzied state. "I'm excited," I whispered.

Another pause. I thought I had said something wrong when he cleared his throat. "Wow."

"What?" I asked confused.

He laughed. "I'm seriously in love with you."

I sucked in my breath at his sudden words. "I don't know how I'm supposed to sleep now," he said. I pressed my cool hands against my warm cheeks. "Me either," I murmured.

"Let's keep each other company then," Damien proposed. "There are some simple things I don't really know about you and I'm kind of embarrassed to admit it."

"Like what?"

"Like your favorite color." I thought about the color of his eyes. "Green."

"Green?" He sounded surprised. "How come?"

"Because it's the color of your eyes." My cheeks burned even hotter and I'm sure I probably looked like a ripe tomato, but I was feeling brave.

He chuckled. "Really now."