Chapter 41

Chapter 41

"This is going to be your best birthday yet. I promise." Damien had such a warm and happy expression on his face.

"T-thank you..." I said misty eyed.

"No tears." He brushed his fingers across my cheek. "Unless they're joyful ones but I want to see you smile."

I chuckled, letting the tears fall, but for different reasons.

"I got a lot of surprises planned for you today. I'll be back to pick you up later tonight." He gave me a quick kiss before pulling back. "Okay?"

I nodded.

He grinned, catching me by surprise with another peck on the lips. "I love you."

I swallowed. "I love you too," I whispered.

_____________________________

I tucked the top of a dress under my chin and let its length flow down my frame as I turned side to side in the mirror. After pairing different dresses with shoes and necklaces, I finally settled on an earth green emerald dress with some hints of sparkle and a pair of black heels. The dress was long sleeve, the scooped neckline showing the barest of skin, with a tight waist that flowed out into waves right above my knees. The back was adorned in a lace pattern that covered my skin in a sheet of sparkly web. The heels weren't that high, nor were they thick, a single strap around the ankle. I brushed my hair and curled it into smooth waves.

I wore a gold necklace embedded with little diamonds and found the ring Damien had given me the last time we saw each other stashed away at the very bottom of my jewelry box. I slid it onto my finger and swallowed back tears, clenching my fingers into a tight fist.

There was a knock at the door. "Hey." Gustavo peeked his head around the frame before walking in. "You look beautiful." He smiled at me.

I gave a faint smile back.

We were both silent, the sound of jewels tinkering as I rummaged through my jewelry box like chimes in a window on a breezy day. "You can tell me anything, you know that," Gustavo said. The weight of his gaze felt heavy on me, and I twisted the ring on me finger to steady myself.

I nodded. "I know." My voice sounded small and I cleared my throat.

I heard his footsteps approaching and I turned around as he enveloped me in a tight hug, his arms going around my frame, pulling me close to his warmth. I savored this moment of familiarness, even as he pulled away, keeping his arm wrapped around my waist. "A big happy birthday from me to you and allow me to be the first to give you your present." He reached into the inside pocket of his suit to pull out a small package wrapped in shiny wrapping paper and a pink bow.

"Thank you Gustavo." I was smiling and trying to block out tears with laughs. I gently ripped open the clean packaging and tossed it aside to find the most gorgeous pair of leaf shaped earrings tucked inside a small box. "They're so beautiful!" I gasped. For a moment, all of my worries were buried at the back of my mind.

Gustavo nodded proudly. "Would you believe that they're real leaves?"

"No way," I said in disbelief.

He nodded again. "Yes way. I forgot the exact details but they're preserved in gold or something and able to retain their natural color. It's so cool."

"They're amazing. Where did you get them?"

He shrugged. "A friend of a friend owns this designer store that specializes in jewelry and other things. I saw them and thought of you."