Chapter 9

Chapter 9

            There was a throbbing in my head. I could hear the blood pounding in my ears. Everything hurt. I couldn’t move. My limbs were stiff. They wouldn’t budge. Why is my hair wet?

            Did I fall asleep after taking a shower? Mama will scold me for not drying it properly. You’ll catch a cold. But strangely, it wasn’t cold. It felt warm . . . and sticky.

            “Amber . . . Amber! Wake up, Amber! Open your eyes . . .” Someone’s calling my name. That voice sounds so close. Why can’t I put a face with it?

            “ . . . Don’t leave me . . .”

________________________________________________________

When I open my eyes, I’m surrounded in blinding white. Where am I?

“Amber.”

I turn my head lazily to the side and blink. “Who’s there?”

Someone kissed me gently on my forehead. “You’re safe now.”

Their touch calms me and sends me into a deep sleep.

_______________________________________________________________

“Sweetie . . .”

When I open my eyes, I’m welcomed by the sight of my mother. “Mama.” My voice cracks.

“Are you thirsty?” She takes a cup of what I assume to be water with a straw and holds it to my lips. I sip greedily to satisfy my parched throat and sit back with a groan. “What happened?”

“Don’t you remember anything?” Mama asked.

I shook my head. “No.”

“I guess if I had been in a similar situation, I would want to forget too. Amber, you . . . fell down the stairs.”

I nearly jumped out of bed. “What?! But . . . how?”

            Mama didn’t answer me. “Your friends left to get some lunch not too long ago. They said they’d be sure to get you something. Are you hungry?”

            As if on cue, my stomach growled loudly. I smiled sheepishly. “I guess I am.”

            Mama laughed, then grew serious again. “Amber . . . I’m here for you if you need anything, never forget that. Your father, too. We’re both here for you if you need to talk.”

            I smiled and nodded. “I know.”

            She looked as if she wanted to say more but something was holding her back. “Amber, honey . . . do you remember anything before you fell down the stairs? The doctors said you showed extreme signs of panic and anxiety. Are they coming back, the panic attacks? Do you want to go back on the medication—?"

              I quickly interrupted her. “No, mama. I don’t want . . . I don’t need to go back on those pills. I’m fine. I don’t really remember what happened but its okay, I’m fine.” This was a lie, of course. I remembered everything that happened. But what I’m still unsure of is whether or not I had voiced my thoughts aloud . . . and if Damien had heard me.

            My mother didn’t look so convinced. “Amber, I—”

            “Hello! Did anyone order some home-cooked Italian cuisine?” My mom and I looked to the door and saw a whole entourage.

            Gustavo, Taylor, and the BlackJacks squeezed themselves through the narrow doorway into the small hospital room bearing handfuls of balloons, teddy bears, flowers, and platters of food. The sight was overwhelming, to say the least. The only person I didn’t see was Damien, the one I wanted to see the most.