Chapter 40

The days went by in a flurry of hours and minutes that I couldn't remember until my sixteenth birthday had arrived. Damien made numerous attempts to call me since the engagement party to which I left unreceived. My health had faltered since that night and I stayed sick in bed with a high fever. The news must have gotten to Damien through Gustavo on account of all the worried voicemails and constant text messages. My heart ached every time I saw his name flash across the screen. But I was too afraid to answer the phone, afraid to hear the sound of his voice, afraid I would break down crying.

The morning of my sixteenth birthday I stayed curled up in bed with my blankets bunched in knots around my frail figure.

I still had trouble comprehending the events that led up to this moment. I agreed to become Ky's fiancee. We had the engagement party . . . how long ago was that? I've been holed up in my room for days, not even sure of the day or the time. The only indication that time was still moving was the setting of the sun and the rising of the moon.

The thought of venturing out into the house nearly reduced me to tears. I couldn't look anyone in the eye. Not my parents, Jules, Victoria, not even Gustavo. They knew something was wrong, especially Gustavo. I was afraid of tipping them off as to what made me change my mind and I couldn't risk Ky opening his mouth for the world to hear.

I shuddered at the mention of his name. Disgust and rage boiled inside of me. But also confusion . . . and fear. I had never seen Ky act that way before. I could still feel the impact of his hand across my cheek. Never would I have thought he was capable of such anger. The look in his eyes had sent me recoiling at the amount of hate he had thrown my way with a single glance. Those were his true colors. He had done well in fooling everything into thinking he was just some cocky model; a bigshot who thought he was better than everyone else. He could have easily sent Damien flying with that slap he had given me.

Damien.

I wanted-no, needed to see him. But I couldn't. I can't face him. Ky wants me to break him, to hurt him. I can't break his heart when I love him so much. I just can't do that to him. I would rather die than let the people I love be ruined by Ky.

What am I suppose to do?

I cried so much that the sensation of tears running down my face were etched into my skin. My phone buzzed with an incoming call, one of many that were a consistent flow of notifications. The phone calls varied from everyone I knew, but the most were from Damien. His name flashed across the screen with yet another incoming call; one which I tried my best to ignore. I wanted nothing more to hear his voice in my ears, his hand against my cheek, his lips across my skin . . .

My limbs protested my attempts to stretch as I lazily climbed out of bed and padded across the carpeted floor to stand in the bathroom. My hair was oily and knotted, and my skin blotchy and red from crying. I turned the tap on to start filling the bath with warm water, checking the temperature before throwing a random bath bomb in. I watched the water change colors and mix. I shrugged out of the sticky clothes like a snake would shed its old skin and slowly lowered myself into the inviting bath tub. The walls around me were silent as I trailed my fingers through the throng of colors. My neck curled upwards against the edge of the tub as I closed my eyes, sinking deeper into the water until I was completely submerged. I heard a faint sound and seconds passed before I was suddenly pulled up and out of the water, gasping for air. Then someone's lips were on mine and I screamed, the sound reverberating off the ceramic tiles. I flailed my arms like a madwoman, sending water everywhere.

"Amber, it's me!"

I stopped moving and stared at the intruder. "Damien?" I said in utter disbelief. "W-what . . . How-?"