Chapter 42

Chapter 42

"Where are you going?"

I flinched at the sound of his voice and braced myself before turning around to face him. He had his hands in his pocket as he regarded me with a calm expression. I thought of something to say. Anything I could say.

"Off to meet your ex-boyfriend?" He asked. I refused to meet his gaze, biting my tongue from correcting him. "That's a good girl," he continued when I didn't respond. "Or should I say, a good wife." He said it with a hint of laughter in his tone. I gritted my teeth and spun on my heel, refusing to acknowledge his sense of disgusting humor.

"Hey!" His hand wrapped around my wrist like a vice and yanked me back so hard I stumbled. "Don't walk away from me." His harsh breath make my skin crawl.

"Don't talk to me like that," I said angrily. "You don't get to talk about Damien like that."

"I could care less about that pathetic excuse for a man," he seethed.

"You're a pathetic excuse for a man," I shot back.

"Listen here, you little—," He began threateningly.

The sound of bells cut him off and I tried yanking my wrist from my grip aggressively.

"I'm outside," Damien greeted me when I picked up. I smiled with relief and told him I would be out in a few minutes.

I could feel his eyes on me as I massaged the red marks he embedded on my wrist. "Make sure you break things off with him tonight."

I lifted my gaze. "Why tonight?" I asked suspiciously.

He ran his fingers through his thick hair, letting some wisps fall into his eyes, and gave me a half-smile. "You don't want to regret not saying goodbye."

I was struck back by the sincerity in his tone. "I'm going to regret everything that happens tonight and from this point forward."

Any sincerity in his expression was washed away as he stared me down. "If you're going to be a selfish brat that cries wolf, fine by me. It won't stop me from leaking it to the press and reopening the case."

"I won't say anything," I promised, feeling trapped. "As long as you don't either."

"I'm the one in control here. I'm the one who holds your future in the palm of my hand." He held his hand out, flexing his fingers before tightening them into a fist. "And I can just as easily crush it. Remember that on your date with your precious Damien." He gave me one final look before storming off.

I swallowed back the hot tears before I let the cold air numb me. The icy chill was refreshing, keeping me at bay as I walked quickly to the BlackJacks van that was parked down the drive. Damien stood outside the door, leaning his head in to talk to Sammy. He turned his head when I approached and gave me a happy grin. "There's my birthday girl," he said, engulfing me in a warm hug. I hugged him back, my hands going to his leather jacket to pull him closer.

"Happy birthday Amber," Sammy greeted me with a smile.

"Thank you," I smiled back. I was still hugging Damien, afraid to let him go and wanting him to erase Ky's hold on me.

But Damien didn't seem to mind. His hand laced fingers with mine, pulling me inside to the sound of firecrackers.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

The whole van erupted into cheers as little party streamers went flying in the air. I jumped back into Damien's arms with a gasp. Inside the van squished together were Taylor, Alex, Jesse, Chris, and Will.

Damien chuckled and I felt the soft rumble against my back as I looked at the group. "What's this?" I asked bewildered.

"Your impromptu birthday party," Taylor announced giddily. She pulled me by the arm to come sit with her and reached behind her seat for a black bag. "We were originally gonna have it at the club but I just couldn't wait." She rustled around before pulling out a silver tiara with pink crystals and securing it atop my head. "Aunt Heather and Suzy wouldn't let me bring the cake on the van. They said I would drop it or something." She rolled her eyes. "Such party-poopers."

I looked at Damien in question. "She's crazy about parties." He replied with a shrug, putting his arm around my shoulder.

I smiled at them all. "Thank you guys so much." I touched the tiara on my head. "You didn't have to do this."

"As long as I get a piece of the cake," Jesse grinned.

Alex knocked him once over the head, giving me an apologetic look.

"What did I do?" Jesse exclaimed, rubbing the spot where Alex whacked him.

Damien pulled me closer to him where we sat and I happily put my arm over his stomach, securing my hold. "Told you I had a lot planned," he murmured in my ear.

I smiled, craning my head to kiss him on the cheek.

I wouldn't cry. Not now. I wouldn't spoil this night with the one I love and all of my friends. I would savor these moments like they were my last. 

Because I knew they would be.

I'm so sorry it's super short but I've been putting off updating for a while and I figured something is better than nothing so here you go! I will try to update again within this week so keep an eye out for that. Thanks lovelies! <3