Chapter 35

Chapter 35
"You're a natural."

"Only because you're holding on to me so I don't fall."

"Oh come on, I bet if I let go--"

"Don't you dare Damien!" I cried.

He laughed, squeezing my hand in his. "Don't worry, I'd never let you go."

After talking on the phone much longer than we should have, we finally hung up to try and get some sleep, agreeing to have our date later in the day. Victoria braided my hair in a messy fishtail braid with a sparkly pin and did my makeup in subtle earth tones and nude lip gloss. I wore my favorite charm bracelet and got dressed just in time. I met Damien at the door, giving Ky the stink eye when I passed him in the kitchen. He returned it with a hard look of his own.

I immediately smiled at the sight of Damien. He wore a pair of dark wash jeans and a sweater under a black winter coat with dark beige boots. His dark brown hair was tousled and his cheeks slightly flushed from the cold. His green eyes widened.

"Hi," I said shyly, even though we had pretty much spent the whole night telling each other our life stories.

"You look beautiful," he said.

I smiled at him. "Thanks. You look great too." This was totally true, although he always looked great, today he looked especially good. I don't know why, but his eyes seemed to get even greener and his gold flecks brighter.

"You ready to go?" He asked.

I nodded. "Yup."

"Don't stay out too late, kids," Victoria called out playfully from the top of the stairs.

"Keep your phone on at all times!" Jules called out as well. I rolled my eyes but laughed. "I'm serious Amber!" Although his tone was anything but. I laughed. "Okay I will!"

"Have fun!" Gustavo added.

Damien held out his hand with a smile which I returned and slipped my hand into his, our fingers holding firmly. "Let's go."

An hour later, here we were. We rented our skates and got out on the ice. It was much harder than I expected but Damien was very determined to teach me how to skate. He pulled me to the center of the rink where we made our way around in circles. Well, at least we tried. I fell multiple times but Damien was more than patient with me and I thought I was finally getting the hang of it.

"See, it's easy," he said after we were able to successfully make it around the rink once without me falling.

"Yeah, sure, easy," I murmured.

He laughed, his shoulders shaking. "The first time I tried ice skating, I fell way more times, believe me. You should consider yourself lucky."

I glared at him but that only made him laugh harder. "Besides," he said after finally calming down. "They've been skating much longer than you have. Did you see how many times they fell?"

I looked over at the group and laughed with him. They caught us laughing and started yelling at us. "Well excuse us, Damien, not everyone can be skating prodigies like you!" Jesses called out frustrated.

This only made us laugh even harder. When Damien and I had arrived at the skating rink, much to our surprise did we find the BlackJacks and Taylor already in the rink. "I might have let it slip where you were going," Taylor said sheepishly.

"We won't bother you guys while you're on your date, we promise," Alex said.

"It's a public rink so you can't say anything," Jesse said teasingly. They did stick to their word and leave us to ourselves but it was hard not noticing them.