When I Take The Stage, I Rock It.

Can we first please talk about monologues? They are fantastic, they are dramatic and when I was in my SNL addiction phase (which still continues like crazy) the monologues were my favorite part of the whole thing. Why? Because the whole arena’s got their 100% attention on you, and only you. For a kid who had gotten attention all over hr for over talking, pranking, bunking, being a classic defaulter and having an annoyingly extensive understanding of the English language in school along with a sarcastic tongue, monologues are just the cherry on top of the game.

As in, when Mr. Kaur got up, serious expression intact to hide the fact that he was going to win, I was so excited.

“Look sad.” Mom whispered in my ear.

I at once assumed an expression as somber as a death event. “How is this?”

“It looks like you are mocking sadness. Try very contrite.”

“I am never contrite.”

“What about shy?”

“Mom. Seriously. Me. Shy?”

“No, they wont buy it.”

Mr. Chopra was trying hard not to laugh as he heard our conversation, while Mr. Kaur began his preparations to address the judge. “You both are impossible.”

“No, Sam is impossible. I just got used to it.Its best if you let her be, you know. She is always surprising when she is on stage.”

“Yeah, you remember when I acted as Shylock? I made him so humorous. Merchant of Venice wouldn’t have been the same without the Shylock who called Bassanio ‘Dude, come on, man. You owe me some’.”

“I remember your English teacher gave you detention for that.”

“AFTER she told me I am impossible and laughing like a frikking hyena.” I informed Mr. Chopra, who shook his head, grinning openly now.

“Your honor” Mr. Kaur began, and we all looked back at him, our attention intact. “his case has been going on for quite a while, and we have all been extensively introduced to varied details of what had exactly happened that day. We KNOW, that Varun Chopra is accused of felony, of stealing important government papers and also of money laundering from the infamous Banking company, Invictus., which has been closed now for the past 20 years since the case. We are presented with evidence claiming that this accusation is true, and this evidence is provided by Mr. Vidhyuth Chopra, who is the accused own son.”

“Where are we going with this, Mr. Kaur?” The Judge asked.

“All I want to say is, what if there is another side to this story? A covert side, a side which hasn’t been showed to the public, because its intent is so very private, and so very secretive? And what if this side is the reality, and that all these accusations; so meticulously framed and provided, are just a front?”

“Explain.”

“I have something better, your Honor. With your permission, I would like to bring up my last witness to the stage, Ms. Sameera Kapoor.”

There was a murmur of surprise and shock among the people as I prepared myself for my piece. Oh, I was going to rock this. I looked at Rithwik, who was looking at me with a puzzled frown on his face, and then him, who just looked impassive now. He caught my gaze and his cool grey eyes betrayed nothing, but he mouthed ‘Don’t’. to me which just made me raise my head higher and focus back on the Judge, who was questioning Mr. Kaur. There were few objections about bringing me to the dais, but Mr. Kaur, the coolest of the cool that he is, got them all covered smoothly. So, before I knew, I was asked to be on that platform thingy.