Looking Into Them Feels.

TWO DAYS LATER

“Mom, mom, mom, ask him to not kill me.”

“Abhi, come on, don’t-”

“She is dating a person. As in, TOGETHER with a person! And it came all over the news and that’s when I knew about it! Mom, why aren’t you super angry?”

“Because I knew about it already. Abhi, Abhi, that’s her hair, she loves her hair. Let it go!”

I yelled as Abhinav caught me and pulled at my hair as he sat me down forcibly on the couch. Ok, we were having our usual brother sister quarrel, and this time, it was because of the papers. The news people had gone all the way wild about our relationship and when Abhinav had come back from Dadi’s place, he didn’t find it insulting at all to run after me through the house, filled with indignation that he had to know about Vidhyuth and my relationship from the papers.

“Mom, ask him to stop it! Tanya, please!’

“Now, Abhi, come on, let her go!’ I was in love with my Satan brother’s sweet wife, Tanya. But my love for her increased 100 fold when she firmly asked him to relinquish his unbreakable hold on my hair. He now gave me the dirty look as he allowed me to sit up, brushing my errant hair back.

“How long have you been together?” he asked grouchily.

“Four days, that’s all.”

“AND YOU ALREADY ANNOUNCED THAT YOU ARE GONNA GET MARRIED?”

“What? No! that’s the press’s exaggerations!”

He stared at me suspiciously. “Are you sure?”

“Yeah!”

“Okay. Okay then. Today, we are having dinner with him.”

“We are?” Tanya questioned.

“Yes.” He nodded firmly. “You, me, this idiot, and her boyfriend. I need to size the guy up.”

“Since when are you so involved with my life?” I muttered, getting up.

“F off” he said lazily, getting up, the quarrel done. Tanya and Mom grinned at me and excitedly sat down next to me.

“So?”

“So?” I questioned back.

“How awesome is this! I saw him in the papers; he is so hot!”

“He looks better in reality, dear” Mom said, excited too.

“Wow, I cant wait to meet him!”

“Who confessed first?”

“Uh- kind of like, both of us, because I was drunk when I-”

“You had alcohol AGAIN?” Mom shrieked.

“No, no, no, no, no, I didn’t! it was the only day I had ever had alcohol and-”

“So, tell me all about it. What happened then?”

“Nothing else. We are-together.”

They let out identical squeals. “I am so happy for you, baby!” Mom said, like an extremely excitable stranger who hears about someone’s love story and not at all like a Mom who would start off with the boundary rules.

“Thanks mom.”

“I am really excited to meet him.” Tanya said brightly.

Is my family not realizing the fact that they don’t sound like they are my family? Except for Abhinav, these people didn’t even seem slightly shocked. It was like they had been planning this all along!