I blinked, even more confused as to why he was asking so many questions in a soft whisper. He was starting to sound like Feliciano. I shrugged, "Probably. It's the number one rule for ghouls who want to live a normal human life; to stay away from human contact if you want to live in peace. But to tell you the truth... deep down I knew I probably would have cracked and say something to her... but I don't think she would had talk to me back, hehe... I'm grateful that we are both destined to bear the curse that comes with being ghouls because at least we can bear it together,"

"What about Elizabetha?" Lovino crossed his arms, "She was prepared to save you even though she thought you were a human! Even after you saw her for the monster she was and she fought against her friend in order to save your life. She was... your savior..."

His loud voice started to trail off to the soft whisper again, as if he had just realized something. Something painful and something he did not want to know.

"I guess I never thought of it that way" I replied, "But it's funny how fate worked out for the both of us,"

He was quiet for a moment, "Do you think... it was foolish of my father to fall in love with a human?..."

I thought for a moment before replying, "Technically, yes. Quite foolish. But, there really was nothing we could do about it. He had made up his mind and so did your mother. They thought it was fate,"

"You believe in fate?"

I thought for a moment, "Only in circumstances that I think confirms it,"

"...yeah, well, look what fate brought them. To death... it's foolish after all. Ugh, what am I thinking..." Lovino scoffed to himself. I wasn't sure I was meant to listen to those mumbles. He finally came back to his senses, looking down at his shoes again, before putting away the last cup and wiping down his apron, "I'm going home. Bye"

"What? No explanation for the sudden interest about my marriage? Every time we talk about it, you gag like a child,"

Lovino rolled his eyes as he put on his jacket. As he walked out the coffee shop, I called out to him, "Hey, bring in the newspaper that's in the mail!"

He came back inside and dropped the newspaper on the counter, "Bye"

With that, he left in a hurry. I scratched my head, confused about the whole situation. He was hiding something, that was obvious. What I wanted to know was what exactly was he hiding.

But the answer came right away as I looked down on the newspaper and opened it to read it. A familiar face instantly caught my eye. Or more like a familiar mask.

WANTED:
By order of the Commission for Counter Ghouls. Any information about the ghoul pictured will be given reward. The CCG need him alive. Last seen wearing a black jacket, jeans, black shoes, and most notably, the mask with one eye exposed, and a spade symbol and a frowning face.

It was a blurry picture, but I could recognize who it was. It was Lovino, wearing his mask and running away and he was carrying something?

No, someone.

This is what Elizabetha and I feared for Feliciano and Lovino. The one thing that we promised their father of, to protect them. I took a deep breath as I recognized the person Lovino was carrying in the picture.

Elizabetha and I promised to their father that we would protect them no matter what. And that's what we intend to do.

_________________________________

- Elizabetha's POV -

I rushed to unlock the door and head upstairs to my room to see that Roderich was already there, seated on the bed and looking down on the newspaper on his lap.