Chapter 10

Three Months Later

-Cheryl-

Reed is coming in tonight around 6:30. He wants me to dress up for dinner. He didn't tell me where we were going. All I know is that it's fancy. I decided to buy a new dress for the occasion. I chose another red dress since he had mentioned a while back how much he likes the color red on me. It's a form-fitting spandex red tank dress that hugs every one of my curves perfectly. I remember that incredible night several months ago when I wore my lacy red dress. I smile to myself. He's going to love this dress, and I'm going to reap the benefits.

I had just finished taming my curls into a bun with curly tendrils framing my face when I heard Reed enter the front door.

I yell to him, "I'm up here, Babe."

His footsteps quickly pound up the steps. When he comes through my bedroom door, I smile at the shocked look on his face. His jaw dropped wide open, and his eyes went dark.

Turning around, I give him the full view. "Do you like my new dress, Babe?"

He's speechless, and I believe drool is forming in the corner of his mouth. I smile, knowing that I've successfully achieved my desired reaction. I walk over to him slowly and seductively. When I reach my man, I gently place my finger under his chin and help him close his mouth.

I kiss him softly on the lips. "So, I'm guessing that you like the dress."

Still speechless, he shakes his head in agreement. He growls as he puts his arm around me, resting his hands on my ass.

He gives my ass a nice hard squeeze. "I don't like your dress. I fucking love it. Damn, Babe, I have no words that can do justice to how incredible you look tonight. We need to leave right now, or we won't leave this room at all!"

He releases me and grabs my hand, practically dragging me down the stairs and out of the front door. I'm laughing the entire way to his car.

We arrive at The Capital Grille, an upscale steakhouse chain in Inner Harbor. I have only eaten here a few times when taking prominent clients out for dinner.

"Reed, have you ever eaten here before?" I ask.

"I haven't, but it came very highly recommended. Have you been here?" he asked.

I smile. "I have. It's definitely in my top five favorite restaurants here in Baltimore."

Reed takes my hand in his and grins. "Maybe after tonight, it'll be number one."

We walk in, and Reed gives the hostess his name. She takes us to a secluded corner and provides us with the wine menu.

Reed glances up at me. "What are you feeling tonight? Pinot Grigio or Pinot Noir?"

"I know that I'm ordering steak; a Pinot Noir would be perfect," I say.

Reed chose the Duckhorn Pinot Noir, and the waiter brought us the wine. Reed tastes it and nods his approval. The waiter fills our glasses, and we both order medium-rare Delmonico steaks, baked potatoes, and asparagus. The waiter leaves to put in our order.

Reed raises his glass to make a toast. "To the most beautiful woman that I'm completely and head over heels in love with, I'm the luckiest man in the entire universe!"

He loves me! Tears fill my eyes. "I love you, too, Babe! So damn much it hurts every second that we're apart."

"You don't know how happy you make me with every breath I take." Reed stands and then kneels in front of me as I see a balloon coming to the table out of the corner of my eye.

My free hand goes to my mouth as Reed takes my left hand into his.

With tears in his eyes, he speaks to me. "When I first met you, Babe, I knew you were different. You had my heart from the first time you looked at me from your phone. When your face turned into a smiling face, I looked forward to waking up to you daily; I was fully and completely yours. I know that our entire relationship has been on fast forward since that first amazing night together, but a heart knows what a heart wants, and my heart wants you forever."

I'm entirely overwhelmed by Reed's confession, but I know that my heart feels precisely the same way.

"Cheryl Anne Thomas, will you complete me by becoming my wife." His dark eyes look at me expectantly.

I quickly nod my head as happy tears stream down my cheeks. "Yes, Reed. Hell, yes!"

He places the most beautiful diamond engagement ring on my finger. It's a Princess cut that looks at least one carat in a square halo surrounded by small diamonds and diamonds down the band. It's extraordinary.

"Oh my, Reed. This ring is stunning!" I wrap my arms around his neck as he stands and takes me into his arms.

He whispers, "It comes nowhere near your beauty, Babe."

The restaurant starts clapping as Reed places his lips upon mine, and we kiss like no one else is in the room. Our passion drowns out everyone around us.

Reed reluctantly pulls away from our sizzling kiss and places his forehead against mine. "I can't wait for you to become Mrs. Westerly."

I smile at his words. "Mrs. Cheryl Anne Westerly... I love the sound of that."

Reed pulls me back into him. "So do I, Babe."

***

It's Monday morning. Reed stayed the weekend through to this morning, and he has a meeting before returning to Philadelphia. I'm sitting at my desk admiring my engagement ring. I must pinch myself to see if this has all been a dream. We had spent the rest of the weekend in my bed, making heart-stopping love. We only left my bed to use the bathroom and get nourishment. I hated to see him go this morning.

We spoke a lot about how our lives will change. Reed agreed that it would make more sense for him to move into my brownstone and use one of my bedrooms for his office. He would still need to travel to Philadelphia for office meetings, but he would always return home to me.

We also decided not to wait too long to get married. We'll do a small wedding in the garden at the Chase Court and invite colleagues and other acquaintances to the reception there. I just called the Chase Court wedding venue, and they had an opening in two months. I texted Reed, and he said to book it, so I did.

I hear a knock on my office door and see Kandie standing in the doorway.

"Good morning." I cheerfully say.

Kandie smiles. "Looks like it was another Reed weekend."

"How can you tell?" I ask.

"Because of the huge grin splattered across your face," she replied.

Without thinking about it, I took my hand and put it over my huge smile.

Kandie's facial expression suddenly turns serious. "What the hell did you do?"

*****