Chapter 11

"What the hell did you do?" Kandie demanded.

"What do you mean? What the hell did I do?" I ask innocently.

Kandie waves her hand towards my engagement ring. "Did Reed pop the question?"

"Oh shit! You're talking about my engagement ring?" I proclaimed.

Kandie looks at me with an attitude. "Of course I am. I have one question. When?"

I know that I'm in trouble. "When?"

"Yes, Cheryl. When the hell did Reed ask you to marry him?" she demanded.

It's then that I realize why she's so upset with me. "Promise not to freak out on me?"

Kandie shakes her head. "I absolutely cannot make that promise to you."

I cringe and whisper, "Friday."

"Are you fucking kidding me right now? When were you planning on telling me?" she shouts.

"I'm so sorry, Kandie. This weekend has been a whirlwind," I apologize.

Kandie sighs, "Every weekend is a whirlwind regarding Reed."

I know that she's right. I can't help myself around Reed. No one else exists when we're together.

"Kandie, I know that Reed has overtaken much of my free time on weekends, but I love our time together. He makes me feel like I'm the only woman in this world. It's quite intoxicating," I try to explain.

Kandie softens her attitude. "Listen, Cheryl. I get it. I've never seen you so happy as you have been these last several months, but it still hurts my feelings that I had to find out three days after your engagement that it happened. Then, I had to see the ring myself. It would help if you could call me and share your good news. Have you even called your mother?"

I lower my eyes from Kandie. I didn't even call my mother. "I didn't. What kind of friend and daughter am I?"

Kandie replies, "You're a woman that is in love. Your mind is mush."

She smiles at me, and I know that she forgave me. Thank goodness. I stand up, and she quickly approaches me and hugs me tightly.

"Congratulations, now let me look at this ring." Kandie pulls away, and I hold out my hand for her inspection.

"Wow! Gorgeous! Reed has great taste in rings and women!" she exclaims.

"Are you and Tank still coming next weekend?" I ask.

Kandie grins. "We wouldn't miss it."

I love my best friend. I tell her, "Reed's friend Todd is coming too. It will be nice to meet up with everyone before the wedding."

"Did you know that Reed would propose when you planned this barbecue?" she questions.

I shake my head. "I didn't. It was Reed's idea, so I think he wanted our friends to meet before the wedding."

I smile at the thought that Reed had planned all of this.

Kandie goes to leave my office. Before she does, she turns towards me. "He sounds like a great guy. If you love him, he has to be pretty amazing."

"He is." I agree.

***

Reed is in the backyard grilling when Kandie and Tank arrive.

Kandie knocks on my door, and then she enters. "I brought your favorite fudge brownies."

"Yum! Thank you! Do I have to share?" I whine.