Chapter 1

Three Years Earlier

-Cheryl-

I'm sitting by myself at my favorite bar in the city, Max's Taphouse. The bar is busy, and the seat beside me is the only empty one.

"Excuse me. Is this seat taken?"

I look up from my phone to see who's talking to me. There stands a handsome man. His dark deep brown eyes are the first thing I notice. He smiles a panty-dropping smile, and I finally find my voice when he raises his eyebrows silently, requesting an answer.

"Um...no," I reply.

"No?"

"I mean, no, the seat is available," I correct myself.

"Do you mind?" he waves his hand at the empty chair.

"Please, sit," I insist.

"Thank you."

He waves over the bartender, Kenny, and I take one last glance at his perfectly groomed beard and handsome features before returning my attention to the emails on my phone.

"What can I get you?" Kenny asked.

"I'll  have a Miller Lite draft and another drink for the beautiful woman here who so kindly allowed me to sit next to her."

I smile without looking up. The bartender brings back our drinks. I take my last swallow before pulling my fresh drink over towards me.

"Thank you," I say appreciatively.

"You are very welcome. Cheers."

He raises his glass, and we clink our glasses.

"Let me formally introduce myself. My name is Reed."

He puts out his hand, and I grasp it. We shake.

"Cheryl, I'm pleased to meet you."

"Are you from around here?" Reed asked.

"Born and raised. You?" I replied.

"No. I'm from Philadelphia. I do a lot of traveling and work for a grocery marketing company. What does an attractive woman like you do for a living in the city of Baltimore?" Reed questioned.

"I own an Interior Design company with my best friend. She was supposed to be meeting me here, but an emergency came up with one of her clients. I was going to have a drink then head home, but this good-looking man bought me another one," I replied.

I smile at him over my drink with my lips taking a long draw of my cocktail. His eyes go to my puckered lips.

"Lucky straw!" Reed exclaimed.

His eyes get darker, and I wonder how that could even be possible. Heat rises to my cheeks, and he grins. A few drinks later, and we're still talking and laughing. Reed is so easy to talk to and easy on the eyes. The more I drink, the more I flirt with him. I lean in and bump his shoulder with mine.

"Thank you," I said.

"For what?" he inquired.

"For saving me from another very boring Friday night." I smiled.