A Boat in the Water

32: Mason

            I was carrying my guitar case in one hand and had my other hand entwined with Kate’s. When we walked onto the dock itself, I was not expecting what I saw. I was expecting a small motorboat or speedboat or something, not the giant ship I saw in front of me. I wasn’t sure what a yacht looked like, but this boat seemed big enough to qualify as a yacht. Maybe it wasn’t, but it was still a lot bigger than I imagined. I looked at Kaitlyn and the look of awe on her face made me realize she probably hadn’t ever seen something like this either.

            “Connor!” My mom yelled when she saw him coming off the boat, “This boat is huge!”

“I know, do you like it?” He asked.

“Like it? I love it!”

“I hoped you would.” She whispered something in his ear and then giggled.

Man I had never seen my mom act like this, and though it was a bit awkward, I was extremely happy to see her this way. He smiled at her and told us all to follow him. We walked onto the boat and I saw that a corner of the steering room (I don’t even know if that’s what you call the room with the steering wheel in it) full of fishing things, I guessed he used it for more than leisurely rides on the water. On the front of the ship there were a pair of kids around our age.

            “Willow, Darren, this is my girlfriend Suzanne, and her son Mason.” The two waved.

“And this is my girlfriend Kaitlyn,” I introduced Kate because I realized she had never met Connor. The three nodded and the girl, Willow, waved.

“Guys this is my niece Willow, and my nephew Darren.”

“Hi,” Willow said, waving again. She had short blonde hair tied up into a small ponytail.

“Hey,” Darren said. He was blonde too and looked exactly like his sister.

“Alright, well I’m going to let you guys get to know each other, Suzanne want to come help me start up the boat?”

“I’d love to.” They walked away leaving Kaitlyn and I just standing there awkwardly.

“So, are you guys twins?” Kaitlyn asked. Willow nodded aggressively.

“Yeah, we’re fifteen. How old are you guys?”

“Seventeen,” we said in unison.

“You know you can sit down right?” Darren asked, gesturing towards the empty seats next to them. Kaitlyn and I nodded and sat across from them on the booth-like seat.

“So… where do you guys go to school?” Willow asked.

“We go to Renderon.” Willow nodded.

“Our cousin goes there, but he’s a freshman so I doubt you know him.”