A New Disease in the Brain

22: Mason

         I didn’t get to see much of Kaitlyn the rest of the week because she was working at Dunkin’ Donuts because of the shifts she missed over the weekend and I decided to earn some extra money and actually show up for my job at Gus’s Auto Shop. The week was spent without another sign of Rory trying to get rid of me. I made it to Thursday morning before he showed up again. Perfectly sober, he walked up to me as I exited my apartment building on my way to school.

“I suggest you get away from me before I call the cops,” I said as I continued my walk to school.

“I’ll get away from you the second you get away from Kaitlyn.” I could feel my anger bubbling just below the surface of my indifferent façade. He caught up to me and began to walk right beside me.

“I swear if you don’t leave me alone I will break your nose,” I told him.

“So what exactly do you think ‘stay away from Kaitlyn’ means?” He asked. I ignored him and pulled out my phone and put in my earphones, deciding to ignore him.

“Hey! I’m talking to you!”

“And I’m listening to music.” I didn’t have time to do anything before a fist was in my face. I staggered sideways and pulled the earphones out.

“What the hell is your problem?”

‘“My problem is you’re dating Kaitlyn.” My anger exploded. I pushed Rory and pointed a finger at his chest.

“Listen dweeb,” yes I said dweeb, don’t judge, “you don’t get to tell me what to do and you don’t own Kaitlyn. She makes her own decisions and she chose to be with me. She hates you.”

“She doesn’t. You’re steeling yourself pretty rich boy, she loves me and you’re just getting in the way.” I gave a dry laugh.

“Rich? I wish. My economic status is just like yours, so face the facts and get a life. Stop stalking me before I bring you to court.”  My face hurt pretty bad, but Rory sucked at punching, so I knew it wasn’t that bad. I’d had worse.

“Whatever, I’m not stalking you. You’re just making this harder on yourself. If you don’t leave her yourself, I’m going to make you.”

“You don’t even love her, why do you want her?”

“Of course I love her!” He yelled and pushed me back. “You don’t know anything!”

“I know you hit her. In what sick twisted world is beating a girl showing her you love her?”

“What?” He looked genuinely confused so I gave another dry laugh.

“You can’t tell me that you honestly don’t remember giving her that gash across her forehead? Or the bruises on her arms? Or the scrapes on her back?”

“What are you talking about?” There was honest confusion in his eyes. I backed away from the guy in horror. He really didn’t remember. Had he been that drunk?

“You’ve got to be kidding me.”

“I- I didn’t’… I couldn’t have…” Cue another dry laugh from me.

“Man, you’re pathetic, so drunk you don’t even remember almost freaking raping her. I’m done with you.” I turned to continue my way to school, but he grabbed my wrist and turned me around.

“Let me go or I swear I’ll-”

“No, listen for a minute,” he let go and I stayed, honestly curious. “I… I…” there was a long silence, and I was getting impatient. Finally he spoke, “I have an abnormal memory disorder…. I mean, yes, I was probably drunk if what you said is true-”