Chapter 15 - Downpour

Chapter 15 _ Downpour

The Day of Strength came and went.

Captain Perez would recover from his incident, but he was unable to compete. With the Champion of Strength for the last five Tournaments out of commission, the invitation to the Champion's Ball was captured by the First's Vice Captain, Rutledge. 

The Vice Captain's win meant that, after six days of tournament trials, King Griggory's Royal Guard held six Champion spots. 

Gwenwyn could see pride radiating from King Griggory. He was clearly ecstatic knowing that members of his Royal Guard were the sole champions of his Tournament.

The seventh and eighth days of the Tournament of Wills were reserved for the Hunt. 

The final event brought an uncountable amount of Terrafeins to the fairgrounds. The start of the hunt loomed closer and still the number of people steadily increased. The ever darkening sky did little to deter them.

The crowd's excitement was practically malleable, but Gwenwyn struggled to, at best, look complacent. 

She stretched to her full height, but was dwarfed by the mountainous King she rode next to. 

Her horse was a lovely chestnut colored mare named Grapeseed. Grapeseed was small, her size only managing to emphasized how petite Gwenwyn was, but something about the skittish mare calmed her.

Distant thunder sounded and Grapeseed's body shook nervously, but she continued to follow the King's horse, Adonis, without a single hitch in her step. 

Gwenwyn allowed herself to show concern for the animal as she patted the horse's side reassuringly. Grapeseed snickered back.

They continued their trek around the fairgrounds with their small entourage of Royal Guards until the sound of a horn called for participants to make their way towards the start. 

She kept Grapeseed in place, at the edge of the Royal forest, as King Griggory and other riders rushed towards the starting line. Gwenwyn didn't have to look back to know which guard had stayed behind to watch over her. She had seen Bingham ride off with King Griggory, it meant that Jenkins would be watching over her that day. 

There had been some debate between the two guards as to who would be able to participate in the final hunt, but it seemed that the more seasoned First had won the right.

"To my fellow Terrafeins," King Griggory announced before his eyes found hers, "and to my honored guests," he smiled, she nodded in return. "Today marks the start of the final event in this the Tournament of Wills."

A grand cheer erupted from the people.

"Ten animals have been tagged and released into the Royal Forest." He continued. "If you capture one of them before dusk tonight, you will have the right to ride in tomorrow's hunt for the honor of attending the Ball, as a Champion. Are you ready?"