Chapter 24 - Girl Talk

"There must be two seprate groups." Gwen deduced over a plate of tea cakes and sandwiches.

"Your highness," Mryah cautioned hesitantly, "I don't believe this type of conversation is appropriate for tea."

Gwen eyed her, "Either you're thrilled with me talking or you're not." She chided. "You'll need to choose a side."

Mryah shoved another tea cake into her mouth and avoided her gaze. 

"Mryah," Gwen prodded. "I do not yet possess the necessary skills needed to chat without a partner. So would you please at least try to participate in the conversation."

"Couldn't we talk about dress trim, or our favorite flavor of tea cakes, or even castle gossip?" She offered. "You know, something that won't get either of us thrown into a cell for treason."

Gwen smirked, it felt good to genuinely smile. And she was honestly happy that Mryah just wanted to get to know her. Unfortunately, they didn't have time for such idleness. 

"Come on," She chastised sternly, "We're both stuck in this room for a while. You might as well help me figure out who's on what side."

Mryah pouted, and played with a strawberry tea cake. Soon however she sighed dejectedly and asked, "Fine, but what side are we on?"

"We're on the, my Father shouldn't have tried to kill us, side." She offered, changing the subject for a brief moment. "What was the verdict on your arm?"

"I think the Dr. Caldwell is a quack." Mryah spat distastefully, "He tells me that my arm is broken, and yeah it hurt when that bandit stepped on it, it isn't broken."

"Really? You can tell?"

"It was quick to bruise, and at at it's worst I feel sore not an acute pain."

"Your mom teach you that?"

Mryah huffed. "She let carry the towels when I was little. You pick up things. Now I have to wear this plaster for two months, while my own charge tries to take care of me. Why are you trying to take care of me?"

Gwen added more tea to Mryah's cup. "After your little slip up during the attack, I knew you I could confide in you. I mean, at least you aren't on a side that wants to kill me and start a war."

Mryah slowly chewed a bite of tart. "About that, I don't suppose there's some way you'll just forget I said all that. Is there?"

She just shook her head.

"Figures. She told me not to underestimate you." The lady-in-waiting praised. "There I was pleading with the Sky, the Sea, the assassin-bandits, and your non-present mother, to keep us alive. All the while you knew rescue was on its way. They cut that close by the way."

"What else did she say about me?" Gwen wondered, ignoring Mryah's other comments." 

Mryah thought for a moment. "She knew about your escapades, asked me to watch over you. She didn't want me interfering, just monitoring. Some informant I turned out to be."