Chapter 29 - Because I have you

The audacity infuriated Freddrick.

Three months had passed.

He'd attempted to extend an olive branch to Rramnon, and mend any animosity that his "unblessed" marriage to Gwenwyn had caused the two countries. His emissary did not bring back glad tidings.

Heralf had revoked his only daughter's birthright and torn her out from his official documents of lineage. Literally, her page had be burned publicly and everything.

He acknowledged the marriage, and even congratulated the 'Bastard King' on finding a match. But he made it public known that Freddrick and Terrafeuw would gain nothing from their new Queen.

Gwen had been forsaken by not only her country, and her King, but by her entire family.

Well, most of them.

Queen Phyllis rejected her husband's decree. The bedridden woman took a proverbial stand and refused to back down, regardless of her health. She openly sent letters to her "much loved daughter" all of which were personally opened, read and analyzed by Heralf and his advisors for any possible signs of treason.

Secretly, the woman had written constantly as Mryah's Mother and showered them in letters offering assistance. Here writing was so cryptic, they had to ask assistance from top scholars in decrypting them.

Thankfully, the people of Terrafeuw seemed to rally behind their new sovereigns.

New regarding the purge of the Elitist Corruption in Terrain Castle had spread faster than wildfire. They saw their 'Bastard King' and his Queen as symbols of positive change for the Country.

Freddrick's announcement of creating a guard that was purely naval based had been meet with skepticism. There was worry that their new King would increase taxes to pay for it. He hoped that they would change their tune when he posted the open enrollment flyers next week. It had taken some time to convince his Councilmen of that. Then he had to acquire training facilities away from the castle grounds.

So many decisions had been made in such a short time, Freddrick couldn't help but wonder, if he had missed a step. Where had this intense desire to keep Gwen by his side come from? In all honesty, they hadn't known each other very long before he practically ripped her away from everything she'd ever known.

Who was he to do such a thing?

The guilt only added to his anger.

He threw his chair back from the desk in his study, and walked to the window. The dark room wasn't helping with his mood.

He needed some fresh air, perhaps that would help.

Freddrick was walking through the gardens a short time later when the sound of laughter caught his ear. He followed the sound to a small pond at the edge of the gardens where to his confusion, both of his wife's personal guards were wading in up to their kneecaps.