Chapter 13 _ Holding One's Breath

The next day crowned the Champion of Steel

Jenkins hadn't entered enough categories to be the champion, but he did managed to win the long sword category. A Two with fast hands managed to catch the top of his shoulder during the dagger finals, placing him in second for that weapon.

It hurt. Although the cut was shallow and would heal easily. The wound had stopped him from competing anymore that day, if he wanted to be fit enough for the other tournament events, that is.

The Champion of Steel ended up being Captain Bromin from Seven, winner of the broad sword, mace, axe, rapier, and knife categories. Jenkins knew that Captain Bromin's skills were impressive enough for him to sweep through most of the categories, but he only entered in the necessary number to be declared Champion. His men were thrilled with his victory and the King appeared exceptionally proud that the first two winners of the Tournament were members of his own Royal Guard.

Jenkins forced himself not to look towards the King's box from the start of the day's challenges until the clock tower tolled the tournament's end. Even without looking, he knew that she had attended. He had felt her presences then as clearly as he had that second night at the overhang. He couldn't be sure if she was watching him, but every fiber of his being told him she was there.

"My sole purpose in traveling to Terrafeuw, is to gain the King's consideration as his next potential spouse." She had confessed it, but her voice hadn't been cold or superior. It had been embarrassed and hesitant.

"An alliance between the two kingdoms." He acknowledged, feeling the bite of jealousy on his tongue.

She had nodded.

"I suppose that you only came here tonight to ensure that I keep silent about your escapades during the last few weeks."

Again, she nodded.

"Would it be accurate of me to presume that you detest me now?" She asked cautiously.

"Do not ask questions, Highness, if you do not wish to hear the answers." He stated behind clenched teeth.

If she had pushed further, Jenkins wasn't sure what would have happened. His statement had convinced her that he held little if any interest in her person, but that wasn't true in the slightest. The ache that rocked his being as she walked away had convinced him just how dangerous his feelings for her might be.

He forced himself to ignore those feelings.

He couldn't afford to let them distract him.

He couldn't afford to let her distract him.

Whatever they had shared on that overhang needed to be forgotten, for both of their sakes.

That night at dinner Alperton once again sought him out. Jenkins wanted to dismiss the Nine. He wanted to return to the barracks and figure out how to get through the next two days since Bingham would be competing.