Epilogue

Epilogue 

William Mayweather's last thought before entering the Safe hold was of his daughter. His beautiful little girl had been born during a bereavement that lasted two entire nights. He wasn't sure how something so small and delicate could give him the strength of resolve for what he was about to do.

The boats wouldn't hold out much longer. 

Soon the fighting would reach Terrafein soil.

What chance did his perfect little Constance have then?

His father's position had fallen to him, and with it, their family creditor. 

The line of credit supplied to them from one of the Eggar's had allowed the first Duke Mayweather to procure a specific piece of property that once belonged to the Terrafein Crown. This piece of property was believed to be useless. The soil couldn't produce crops, and the lumber from the trees was poor in quality. King Tallen Griggory James Lyonall had thought the first Duke was insane for wanting such a useless property, and had happily had allowed them to procure it. 

For a fee.

Duke Mayweather had known about the salt mines, but he couldn't use just any creditor, less King Tallen learn of his duplicity. 

Then a cousin of the, then newly crowned, King Heralf Gar Derrik Eggar came to him. He offered the Duke a line of Credit. The Duke's greed, being what it was, hadn't let him see the blackmail coming.

The prosperity from their salt mines insured the Mayweather family's raise up the ranks. Eventually David Mayweather, William's father, was appointed Councilman for King Griggory James Paul Lyonall.

By then, their family had a debit large enough to rival a Kingdom. It was one they could never hope to repay.

Until now.

William didn't think of his past. Before walking into the Strong hold. He thought of his future. 

He thought of his little girl, barely two weeks old. 

He thought of how best to protect her.

He thought, 'How could any father hope to the carry the burden of destroying their daughter's future?'

William took a deep breath and inserted his father's Councilor key, into the lock of the Strong hold's door. 

There she was, he realized, finding her easily amongst the throng of women and children that were keeping themselves busy by packaging supplies and goods for soldiers fighting out at sea.

She sat in the middle of a packing chain, commanding the women the way her husband commanded the soldiers.  The perseverance of these women had gone leagues in maintaining the men's morale. They were a symbol of courage and steadfastness. A symbol that William had been tasked with eliminating.

"Phillip!" He heard her call out, "Be careful with that kitten or it will scratch you again."

William followed her eyes, to the small Prince toddling happily between a stack of crates. The ears of a small tabby cat popped up, making him giggle. He chassed after the cat as fast as his little unsure legs could carry him. 

Queen Gwen's eyes followed her young son for a moment before resting on William. He remembered the last time he saw her so close. It was in Rramnon, a lifetime ago, at her eighteenth birthday celebration. Gone was the stoic, perfectly poised Princess. Before him was his Queen, a woman whose eyes were filled to the brim with concern.

William's eyes widened when he saw her struggle to her feet. He hadn't been notified that she was with child. 

"Lord Mayweather?" She wondered, heading towards him. "Do you bring news?"