Chapter 14 _ Champion of Speed

The Day of the Mount arrived and Captain Perez had signed up for the Joust. He was proud of all that his men had accomplished so far, but a nagging feeling had been pulling at him all day. 

"Are you alright Captain?" He heard one of his men ask?

Captain Perez pushed the feeling to the back of mind and reassured the Two. "I'll be just fine Merick." 

Just as Sevens were known for their strength, Nines for their awareness, and Threes for gathering information; the Two's were known for their meticulousness. Everything they did was well thought out and planned.

"Are you assisting Captain Waddle in the Joust?" He asked wondering why Merick was there.

"Yes Captain." He responded eagerly. "I am seeing to Captain Waddle's lances."

"Have you come to see me for a specific reason Merick?"

"Yes Captain." He affirmed, but then his confidence stopped there as his words seemed to get stuck in his throat.

"Well?" Perez asked when the man still hadn't spoken. "What is it?"

The guard looked at his feet for a brief moment then back at him. Perez could remember when the Two had first enlisted, the young Vice Count had been embarrassingly shy and did nothing but stare at the ground. That stopped after his transfer to Two, Captain Waddle had done well with him.

"You're mother was from and island Country, right?"

"And you are digging into my lineage because-?"

"Forgi-give me, Captain. My nerves have me rattled today. I merely wished to make conversation be-before-."

Perez laughed lightly at Merick fear of him and decided to indulge the Two. "Emilay Frecios Drigarcee third daughter of Count and Contessa of Ceril, it's a small coastal town in Gietan, the country famous for the 'Pirate take over'. My Great-grandparents'  title was bestowed as a thanks for services rendered. Emilay married Ian Collins Perez, who became the nineteen Earl of Colton. I am their third son. Will that suffice?"

"Y-yes Sir, thank you."

The Guard still seemed nervous about something, and the sinking feeling gnawing at Perez's back worsened. 

"Merick?"

"Sir!"

"You're still here because-"

"Yes, Captain Waddle sends...his concern." Merick informed, the words seeming to take great effort. "You have been the Champion of Strength for the last five years. Competing in the Joust today, may hinder your performance later in the tournament."

"Is that so?"

"Yes Sir, Captain Waddle believes you should bow out of the challenge."

Perez gave the man an annoyed look, but chose his words carefully. "I appreciate Captain Waddle's concern, but it is not needed."