Chapter 6 - Want or Need

"You look positively radiant this morning." Gwen's lady-in-waiting stated enthusiastically the next day. "Did you have a pleasant night's sleep?"

She looked at herself in the mirror but she couldn't see the radiance that Mryah described.

Staring back at her was the same blank faced Princess that she had grown accustomed to over the years. She wore a high-necked dark peach dress that clung tightly around her waist and managed to make her look both mature and famine at the same time.

'Like a Princess.' She realized distastefully. She longed for a dress the she didn't have to wear with colored stocking, heeled shoes, or frivolous accessories.

Gwenwyn decided to ignore Mryah's question, and held her hand out expectantly. Her lady-in-waiting eyed it momentary in confusion, but realization soon dawned on her as she ran off to grab the dress's matching fan.

"It was very gracious of King Griggory to personally invite you to a private luncheon." Mryah remarked as she surveyed her mistress's completed ensemble.

Gwenwyn allowed a small smile to break through her marble features. Her lady-in-waiting noticed the expression and beamed happily. She had never smiled in front of Mryah before, and the woman was clearly delighted to have witnessed it.

But King Griggory didn't cause it.

'Marcus.' She thought as she remembered the dormant feelings that he had so easily pulled from her.

Gwen had lied when she said that she had given him the name Marcus merely because she liked it. There was a reason. Major Marcus was the only Rramnon guard that had managed to catch her, of course she was five at the time, but the man never let her forget it. Although the man she met the other night didn't physically catch her, he did grab her curiosity.

She thought back to those few moments she had shared with him on the horse trail.

He told her that the other guards believed that she was the ghost of Queen Rebekah.

The information didn't sit well with her. It meant that at least one of the guards had caught more than a glimpse of her.

They knew she was blonde, perhaps fair-skinned, but definitely female.

Did they also know that she was staying in the palace? Did they know how tall she was? Surely Marcus knew. Would he tell the others?

She tried to recall the other faces of the women staying in the Terrain Palace, and instantly became disheartened. As far as she knew, the only other person that even remotely matched the description of the deceased queen was Gwen's lady in waiting, and Mryah was a full five fingers taller than she.

Her heart sank, when she thought about what might happen if someone realized that she was Moria. The information might ruin her father's plan to overtake Terrafeuw without bloodshed.