Chapter 28 - A Bold Move

Chapter 28 - A Bold Move

"This is not how I imagined doing this." Freddrick grumbled as he straightened his coat yet again. 

"You didn't imagine getting married?" Russel joked, keen on keeping the conversation upbeat. The Nine had just gotten back from patrol, and they had much to catch up on. "I thought marriage was your sovereign duty as monarch?" 

Creatin smirked and leaned against the wall. Three and Nine were on the same patrol rotation so he should have left yesterday morning, but Freddrick had postponed the Vox's departure until after the ceremony. 

"Monarch." Frederick groaned, turning from the mirror, "I didn't think this day would come."

"The former King was a lot of things," Russel informed, "but he wasn't immortal."

"He wasn't exactly celibate either." He reminded.

"King Griggory," Creatin started, lifting his glass in the customary toast "may the Sea carry him." 

"May the Sea carry him," the other two repeated, but Russel tacked on, "as far away as possible."

"Peter." Creatin scolded, using Russel's first name. There was a beat of silence before the other two burst out laughing. The tension in the room broke, Freddrick's nervousness faded and he eased into a familiarity that he hadn't felt since his years in training.

Since Creatin's father was a Councilor, and Creatin himself was the "lessor heir", he and Jenkins had basically grown up in the castle together. Russel came to the castle to live with his uncle after his parents passed away in a coastal flood roughly twelve years ago. Three boys, all around eight years old, stuck in a castle with hardly any supervision. It didn't matter how different they were, they'd become the best of friends.

When they were old enough, they were all sent to basic guard training. Given their backgrounds, they were eligible for, and soon transferred to the Terrafien Royal Nine. There they were promptly split up, much to the delight of several staff members.

Russel went to Nine with his uncle, Creatin went to Three and Jenkins became a Guard of the Sixth. They'd rotate together, two on land while the third was on patrol. For years the three of them followed that cycle.

Creatin and Russel had always known about Jenkins past, but as Creatin learned the value of information, his hatred of his father's indifference grew. He had bonded with others in Three and slipped into the shadows of information gathering, distancing himself from the others.

Russel's gasped for air, trying to control his laughter. "You're next you know." He teased happily, pointing at his sour faced friend. "Flint's getting married, and Lillany finally said yes, so it's time for The Brain to stop thinking and find his match, otherwise he's going to end up all alone."

Creatin cringed at Russel's causal mention of his old nickname. When they were eight, Russel's keen eyesight, Creatin's study habits, and Flint's undying loyalty had given Russel the idea to call themselves, the Body of Terrafeuw. Together they were the Eyes, the Heart and the Brain. Creatin had hated it so much that he'd started calling Russel the Little Orphan, on account of him being the shortest in the group, and Flint became the Stupid Commoner, because it took him the longest to read written text.