Chapter 7 - Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

Every afternoon, before dinner, King Griggory gazed into the full-length mirror that had been placed in his chamber. An intricately designed dark walnut frame surrounded it. The color contrasted beautifully with the light white oak that was found throughout the rest of the palace.

He studied himself in the reflective surface and smiled proudly at his own image.

Being the King of the Trade Kingdom offered Griggory many pleasantries that other rulers could barely fathom. His tall, healthy figure was covered in the smoothest silks that Burkelan could offer, dyed in the vibrant colors that could only be found around the borders of Harada. His fingers were covered in beautiful rings, crafted by the silver smiths of Rramnon with metals from the mountains of Alminia and inlayed with jewels from Ioh and Geitah.

His possessions were magnificent.

No one could outshine him.

Thanks to the many natural ports along the coast of his Kingdom, Griggory was able to dress in the majesty that he deserved.

His smile grew as he walked over to his breakfast table where his servant had placed several delicacies from all over the Thirteen Kingdoms so that he might sooth his impatient stomach before dinner.

He bit greedily into a small brick of Decantstern chocolate and let himself wonder about the dilemma that was Princess Gwenwyn.

During their lunch she proved that her youth and naivety fueled only ignorance rather than a chiding tongue. Once he was satisfied that there didn't appear to be an overly arrogant bone in the Rramnon Princess's body, Griggory was able to admit that he was quite taken with her.

It had taken her nearly the entire lunch to become comfortable enough around him to allow herself the freedom of asking him questions. His pretense for their lunch had been to learn more about the Rramnon society, and never once did she show even the slightest inkling that their time together was for anything other than what he had said.

That had proved her ignorance.

He was very glad to learn that.

Her Rramnon upbringing had given her a lovely and quiet demeanor but her emotions and thoughts remained indecipherable. It made him slightly weary of the young Princess, but later that day, during the negotiation meeting he caught her eyes hesitantly glance towards him, and then later he noticed her staring at him. She looked away as if embarrassed a moment later, but he had seen it.

She was drawn to him, drawn to the majesty and the splendor that his position allotted him.

King Griggory's smile turned into a satisfied grin as he sat down at the table and nibbled at a plate of almond cookies that had been made to his exact specifications. He not only wanted, but deserved the best, and he could tell if his chefs used anything but the finest ingredients.