Chapter 3 - Queen Rebekah's Ghost

Chapter 3 – Queen Rebekah's Ghost

~~~ Five Weeks Later

Jenkins jumped easily from the ship, while his fellow comrades of the Royal Guard used the rope ladder to disembark the vessel. He landed on the dock with a soft thud and a stretched his arms behind his head.

"Jenkins!" He heard Captain Perez shout from the deck above him. "You will hurt yourself one day by doing that."

He looked back up at the ship that he had spent the last month in and waved at his captain "Still in one piece, Sir." He heartily called back.

Several of his fellow guards snickered at his response, and he hurried towards the wagons where fellow guards of First were helping Four reload the Balgair for it's next month of patrol.

The Kingdom of Terrafeuw had nine total divisions in its Royal Guard. Every three months each unit was responsible for partaking in a one-month patrol of the Terrafein waters . While six regiments protected the Terrafeuw's palace, three would patrol her harbors and ports. These patrols helped prevent smugglers and pirates from docking at any of the six main trade harbors across the coast of Terrafeuw.

"So it's true. I couldn't believe that you were transferred to First with Captain Perez, but here you are." He heard a familiar annoyingly authoritative voice say from behind him. Jenkins picked up a crate of cured meat, forced a pleasant look on his face and turned to face Captain Anthon, leader of Four.

"Captain." He nodded, "We'll soon have the Balgair stocked for you and your men."

"I heard that you were reassigned after Burton's Sixth Regiment landed several weeks ago, but I thought that you'd head to Bromin or Kage. How did you of all people get into First?"

Jenkins offered him a shrug and placed his box on the pile, "I was recruited." He answered with a smug expression on his face.

"He requested you?" Captain Anthon clarified. Jenkins nodded. "I thought that you couldn't be placed in his division because you aren't the son of a nobleman?" The man wondered aloud.

Jenkins knew he'd say something about it, but it still stung slightly to hear it aloud.

He decided to ignore the captain of the Fourth Regiment and motioned towards the guards operating the pulleys that the pile of necessities was ready to be lifted on to the ship. Ropes shot skyward as the net around the pile pulled taunt. The many creates and boxes of supplies were hauled onto the deck of the Balgair.

The flag of the Terrafein Royal Guard waved proudly from atop the nest, and a whistle from a sailor on board confirmed that everything in the pile had landed on the deck safety.

Jenkins waited for the net to be sent back down towards the dock. Captain Anthon eventually realized that he was being ignored and left to inspect the ship.