Chapter 21 : A Person's Character

Gwen paced in her room for 5 nights waiting on some type of news to reach her. On the morning of the 6 day, just 4 days after King Griggory's death, she was officially summoned by the Royal Councilmen.

Her accuser had stepped forward.

It was the young server King Griggory had grasped ahold of just after he had been poisoned. She claimed that the platter of treats she held, had been ordered by the Rramnon Princess personally. The accusation of course was absurd, the Princess hadn't ordered such desserts.

But, the counsilers had been thorough in their investigation. The Princess's assigned Terrafien servers, Pamela and Lillany, had been brought in. They attested that of the few things the Princess seemed to enjoy, or tolerate, were the small fruit and nut filled tarts that the King sent to her each morning. The women stated that while attending to the Princess, she was exceedingly proper, and almost arrogant in everything she did. They attested that during the festival, the Rramnon Princess had released her personal lady-in-waiting from duty, for reasons unknown.

To Gwen's horor, the lady in question, Mryah, didn't speak up against the accusations facing her Princess. She claimed that even as Princess Gwenwyn's closest companion, she could offer very little assessment of her character. They weren't companions, or confidants, they were barely acquaintances.

As hard as that was to take in, Gwen knew Mryah was correct, she had never made an effort to understand the young women, not on a personal level. She use her as a distraction, and it hurt to hear.

Mryah confirmed the attendants statement. She was released from her duties for an entire week's time. She believed that the reason for this had been spurned from spite. A Royal Guard in Nine, Alperton, had made a request of her highness, he had wanted to propose to her lady-in-waiting, and bequeath her highness a day of allowance for Mryah, so that he might be the happiest of men. He hoped that upon his return from Patrol, he could send out official letters to Mryah's family in Rramnon, to hasten their union, but nothing had come to fruition.

Of course, being that none of the Royal Guard ships sank during the storm, Alperton, was currently on board the Vox and unable to be reached.

Gwenwyn held stern and unwavering as the accusations against her character continued. The more tarnish laid upon her person, the easier it became for others to believe her capable of crimes against the Kingdom of Terrafeuw.

Somehow, prior to her meeting with the Councilmen, it had become common knowledge that King Griggory and King Heralf were seeking an alliance through a marital union between the Terrafien King and the Princess of Rramnon. Just how that had become common knowledge eluded, Gwenwyn.

Still, it was that very knowledge that was keeping the guilt off of the Princess's shoulders, no matter how many faults to her character the staff supplied.