Chapter 2 - Two Sides of a Coin

Chapter 2 – Two Sides of a Coin

Gwen smiled as her heart pounded and her bare feet flew across the terrain.

Her loose hair waved effortlessly behind her like a kite tail as she soared past the houses and shops of the near by town. A voice shouted harshly from behind her but she pushed forward and let her legs travel even faster.

He wouldn't catch her.

They never did.

No one could.

It didn't matter how well trained they were, or even how skilled. It didn't matter if they were a guard or a peasant. The reason that no could catch her was actually rather simple.

Gwen loved running.

It fueled her heart and the ache she felt in her legs as her bare feet padded across cobblestone reminded her how alive she actually was.

The town slowly transformed into trees and the cobblestones were replaced with cool dirt as the park separating the town from the palace rose up to greet her. She smiled again at the thought of open roads and clear paths.

The shouting voice of the angry shopkeeper had faded long ago. The man probably gave up when he realized that he didn't have a chance catching her, and he was clearly too proud to ask the guards on duty for assistance.

Another smile found its way to her face and she chanced a quick shout of success as she patted her satchel with glee.

Gwen stopped short at the crooked tree.

She could barely make out the figures of the guards at the front gate. If they recognize her, word would get back to her father.

She couldn't risk that.

Quickly, before they noticed her, she skirted off of the path and into the shadows.

Gwen's speed dropped considerably once she left the trail. She could clean most of the dirt and mud from her bare feet, but if there would be no explaining a twisted ankle.

She released a sigh of relief when she bolted through the trees and into the small meadow.

Gwen had stumbled upon the place about two years ago after guards at the gate spotted something and took off after her. That night had given her one of the most frantic runs of her life.

It had been amazing.

"It's good to be home." She called softly as she slowed and then stopped when she reached the large oak tree that grew in the center of the small meadow.

Gwen leaned lightly against the tree and pulled the paper wrapped sweet roll from her satchel. She watched the stars twinkle happily across moonless sky, took a gleeful bite, and nearly melted with joy.

The bread was still warm.

She looked around the meadow and found herself imagining what the flowers would look like during the light of day. As quickly as it had come, she forced herself to let the image go.

That wasn't possible.

Once a month, when the moon disappeared, she was able to escape the palace without getting caught by the guards.

She couldn't think about running off to town during the day, and although she yearned to have more than one night of freedom, Gwen knew that she couldn't risk it.

Her cravings for fresh air could prove disastrous if she let it make her careless.

So, she was patient.