chapter 9

The next 3 days were a blur. Cam had tried texting me, but eventually I'd told him to give me space. I was an emotional wreck, to say the least. I was furious, sad, lonely, angry, embarrassed, hurt, it couldn't get worse. I did feel a little guilty, but there was nothing I could do at this point.

Today was Saturday, the day he moved.

"Honey, wake up, Cam's moving."

"Mooom, you know I don't want to see him ever again," I said, tiredly. I had confided to my mom everything I had felt, and everything I was feeling right now. She was someone who I could always count on to keep my secrets safe.

"Oh, honey," she said, sighing, as she sat down on my bed. "No matter what you think, you guys did have a friendship. Even if it wasn't the best of one, you guys had something special, and you can't throw that away all because of a crush-"

I sat up. "But, it's not because of the crush! It's because he decided to tell me he was moving, not to mention, to the other side of the COUNTRY, 3 days before he did. What was I supposed to do? Tell him it's alright when it's really not?" I replied, frustratedly, falling back into my bed.

My mom smiled weakly. "I know, honey, but maybe he had a reason to. Maybe, he didn't want to hurt you."

I paused before replying, thinking about her words. That was true, that I hadn't thought about why he wouldn't tell me. But still, I highly doubted that he kept it to himself because of that.

"Fine, I'll go say bye. That's it, though."

I pulled on my black leggings, and a cardigan over my tee. As I walked over to his house, I wondered about what I was even going to say. We weren't even on good terms. So much had happened in the last few weeks, I'd completely lost control of myself.

I came into view of his street, and sure enough, a moving van was parked in front of his house.

Cam was hugging Gina, his mom, and Sierra, his sister. I think they were staying here, while Cam was moving, to "explore his future."

When I reached his porch, he was talking to Jake, his dog. I smiled, he'd always been really close with his dog. It was actually really cute to hear him talking to him.

"I'll miss you, you know, you were probably the only person there for me, through everything. You know Ashlyn? Yeah, well, she left me. I guess she hates me now. But, I'll miss her too," he said quietly, bending his forehead against Jake's.

Awkward. I didn't know what to say anymore. I felt really bad for ignoring him now, but it was too late. What was I supposed to say?

He stood up. I tried to back away and hide behind the truck, but he'd turned around already.

"Ashlyn?"

"Um, hi!" I said, laughing nervously.

"What are you doing here?" he asked.

"Oh, uh, I-I came to say bye! And, um, give you some cookies my mom made," I explained, quite anxiously, not wanting him to ask whether I'd heard him talking to Jake or not.

"Oh cool, thanks," he said, taking them from me.

"Yeah, so...have a nice flight!" I said, trying to get away from there, as fast as I could.

"Ashlyn, wait. You can't just leave," he said, setting the cookies down on the porch.

"Why not?"

"I don't want to leave Raleigh on bad terms with someone who was there for me all these years. I don't think that's fair to both of us," he said, quietly.

He sounded nervous, but like he wanted to say something important, so I let him have a chance.

"I'm leaving because I never really had any friends here. Social media has opened so many doors for me, and I really want to explore all of them before I choose one outlet. It's helped me so much, to know that there are people out there that care about me, if the ones in front of me don't. And that's partially the reason I didn't tell you. I know that, even when we argue or fight, that we care about each other. And to tell the one person I had that I was leaving, it was hard for me to think about, much less do. That's why I didn't tell you, and I really wish you would say something, because I don't think this many words have ever come out of my mouth all at once, so please, can you forgive me already? I'm sorry," he said, rushed.

I stood there, shocked. I'd always assumed Cameron had a ton of friends; people always seemed willing to be around him, and hangout with him. But, now that I think about it, I'd never really seen him with a consistent companion besides me.

I had really let him down.

I smiled, and threw my arms around him. He took a step back, startled, but soon enough, his arms came around me, and pulled me close to him.

"I'm going to miss you so much," he said, smiling, but it was obvious tears were forming in his eyes. "Don't forget about me?"

I was doing much better. I wiped my tears away. "I'll miss you too. And I'm sorry about all the trouble I've caused between us the past few weeks."

"Don't worry, I mean, it's partially my fault. If I had gone shopping with you that day, none of this would have happened."

I laughed. "Well, besides my crush. It's okay, though. Are you going to visit anytime soon?"

"You're probably over that now, right? Not before school ends, which is in like 3 months anyways, so not that long."

"Yeah, I guess. So, I probably won't see you, because I'm probably going to go to whatever college I get into at the beginning of summer, to get acquainted and all."

"Right."

The moving truck beeped its horn, and I looked at Cameron.

"This isn't goodbye," he told me.

"I know," I said back.

As he got into the truck, I knew we were right.

This was not goodbye.

***A/N:

I wrote this kind of rushed, so it's probably reaaallly bad, sorry. Lol, I don't really like it. I might change it later on.

There will obviously be a time skip for the next chapter, so heads up for that.

also, the title may not make sense right now, but trust me, it will later on. The actual story hasn't even really started yet haha. (;

so yeah, comment/vote/follow love you all (: