chapter 5

"Um, Ashlyn?"

Oh, shoot. How long had I been staring at him? Awkward.

"Yeah, uh sorry. I'm not jealous. I, um, was just a little annoyed. But, it's all good. Thanks for the keys. See you later!" I replied, with a forced smile.

That was beyond embarrassing. First of all, he thought I was jealous, which now I can admit to myself I am and was, but if he knew that, that would be the end of me.

I can't believe it though. I liked Cameron! And here, I'd always told myself that I didn't.

I had no idea how I was going to act normal. He liked Chelsea now. I was too late.

However, I'm pretty sure I can make it go away soon, right? I'd just avoid Cam for a couple days. See if that helped.

Which, it better.

Because I cannot let myself fall for him.

~

The interview had gone well. I'd gotten the call that I had been offered the job. That was a relief. Now, all I had to do was figure out a way to avoid Cameron at school the entire next week...

~

*ping

C: hey, where are you?

A: um, already at school! I had to finish something...sorry

C: oh ok

Phew. I had purposely gotten to school early, so I wouldn't have to walk with him. He didn't seem too bothered by it anyways. Now, the only problem I had left was math, history, and lunch.

~

In history, I luckily sat on the other side, so it wasn't too hard to avoid him. I just did my work, and thankfully, he didn't really come over to me.

During math, however, with my luck, the teacher assigned a partner project. I knew Cam would probably choose me, but I couldn't let him. It would be too much for me to handle.

So, I ran over to Luke, a guy in my class I was pretty good friends with.

"Hey Luke, want to be partners?"

He looked surprised. "What about Cam?"

I looked over at Cam, who was staring at us. "Oh, um, I just decided I would, you know, try a different partner this time?"

"Oh, alright then. Sure," Luke replied.

I felt kind of bad, but then again, I needed to let go of Cam, or else, it would end even more messily, then it already was. I didn't want to get in the way of him and Chelsea, and live in the regret that he hated me for it. Besides, he seemed tired of me lately, anyways, so it was really a mutual benefit.

Cam seemed to have found a partner, Jasmine. Jasmine was a really nice girl that I talked to sometimes. She was practically friends with everyone, which is why she knew almost everything that was going on. However, she didn't spread it around, she only told people it pertained to, which is one of the main reasons I found her admirable.

A pang of jealousy hit me again. I mentally slapped myself. I can't keep getting jealous, or my crush was just going to get worse. I needed to stop paying attention!

~

After school, I heard someone running after me. Shoot.

"Ash! Wait up!"

I started walking faster, until someone grabbed my shoulder. Cam.

"What's wrong? Why have you been avoiding me all day?"

"I-I'm not."

"I'm not stupid. I know you had no reason to go to school early today. And then, in math, you didn't choose me as a partner, when everyone knows, we always choose each other. What did I do?"

"Nothing, Cameron. You didn't do anything. But, I think it's best we don't talk for a while."

He looked confused. "What? Why?"

"Just listen to me. I'm sorry." I could tell tears were forming in my eyes. I knew what this meant.

Our friendship was pretty much about to end.

All because of my stupid, little crush.

But, I knew, I couldn't let it go on.

***A/N:

next chapter will be a skip in time. but basically, in this chapter, ashlyn realizes that she can't let her crush on Cameron go on, because it'll cause a lot of tension and drama. and instead of letting her friendship fall to that, she'd rather it be cut off, without Cameron knowing that she likes him. :-(

anyways, comment, vote, and follow! thanks :-)