chapter 20

I woke up to the sun shining in my face, and for a second, I forgot where I was.

I felt around, finding out that I was now on a very comfortable bed. Weird. I don't remember going to bed...

Oh yeah.

The events of the night rushed back to my head, and I got out looking for Cam. He wasn't in the room, so I went to his room to see if he was there. He wasn't there either.

I went back to my room, brushed my teeth, took a shower, and went into the living room.

Shawn and Cam were both sitting at the table, silently. I guess Cam had told Shawn what had occurred.

When they noticed me, they both nodded, and Shawn got up to hug me. He gave me a quick kiss, and we both sat down at the table.

"Morning," I said to Cam.

He smiled tightly. "Hey."

I looked at him expectantly, wondering if he was going to tell me more about his mom. After he'd told me about her diagnosis, all we'd done was cry until we fell asleep.

Which reminds me, how did I end up in a bed?

"How did I wake up in a bed?" I asked.

Cam looked up. "I put you in there, because I felt bad that you were on the ground. I wanted you to sleep comfortably."

How sweet. "Thank you," I said sincerely.

He nodded, and stood up. "Well, I'm going to head off. I'll talk to you later."

I got up and held his arm. "Wait, but-"

He quickly glanced at my hand, but looked back at me. "I promise I'll tell you everything later."

I nodded, and let him go.

Shawn was still sitting at the table, watching me. I sat down in front of him and stared at him. He took my hand in his, and looked at me sadly.

"I feel so bad for him. He has so much going on right now, and this is just...," he said, not knowing how to finish it. I understood his feelings. Cam had a lot happening in his life now, and this just wasn't fair to him.

I nodded, and thought of Gina, Cam's mom. She was always so sweet, so happy, so caring. I remember going over to the Dallas's after school tons of times and her always making me my favorite alfredo. She was such a kind human being, and it didn't seem right that she had to go through this.