Chapter 28 - A Change Of Heart

Sofie's POV

I was packing my bags for our next stop, which was Chicago, when Hayes burst into our room. Everyone else had gone downstairs for food while I packed my bags. I wasn't really hungry anyway.

I was startled when Hayes walked in; I thought he was downstairs with the rest of them. He had a different look on his face than usual; usually he looks like he wants to pounce on me. I didn't take much notice of them though. I just continued to pack my things.

"Packing?" Hayes asked with an eyebrow raised. He, weirdly enough, seemed quite interested, as if he actually gave a shit about me.

"What's it look like?" I asked sarcastically. It would've felt weird to be nice to Hayes. It was more of an instinct to be rude or sarcastic, as mean as it sounds.

He chuckled quietly, as if he found what I just said amusing. He had a smile on his face; it wasn't evil or cheeky at all. "What do you want, Hayes?" I asked him, spinning around to properly face him.

"Nothing in particular" he replied, shrugging his shoulders. I sighed and folded my arms across my chest, a little annoyed by his answer. "Then why are you here?". Hayes then smiled at me and held out his hand, an envelope grasped in his palm.

"What's this?" I asked warily, reluctant to take it, like it was a highly dangerous explosive. Knowing Hayes, I wouldn't be surprised.

"Just open it" he said, encouraging me to take the tightly sealed envelope of mystery. I sighed and took the surprise from his hand, beginning to open it. I was so confused but knew better than to be asking questions. He wouldn't answer them.

I slid my hand across the slit of the envelope, carefully and slowly opening it, eager but wary to see what it contained. I looked up at Hayes who had a smile on his face. Not a sickly sweet one or an evil one, it was different. Nothing like his usual one.

I pulled out what was in the envelope and gazed at it, completely in shock. I opened it up and read it, taking in every single word, thinking my eyes were failing me. He had gotten me a birthday card. A genuine one, no sleazy remarks or rude comments. Just a card to wish me a happy birthday. It read "Happy 16th birthday Sofie. Have a good one. Love Hayes". I found what I had just read hard to believe though.

"What's the catch?" I asked with my eyebrow raised, curious to figure out why he did such a thing. "No catch. Just a card" he replied sincerely.

I studied his face carefully, looking for any indication of falseness, but failed. It was hard to believe, but I think the gesture was genuine. Hayes half-smiled at me, something so small giving me so much hope. Maybe things could work out, but I didn't want to get my hopes up too much. Tomorrow he could go back to the same old Hayes, pulling a look of disgust whenever I entered the room and making rude remarks about everything I do and say.

I sighed and thought that if Hayes was trying to be nice, why shouldn't I?

"Thanks Hayes. Really" I told him, biting my lip awkwardly, hardly understanding the sentence that had come out of my mouth. It was as if someone really kind and sweet had possessed me.

Hayes looked at me then suddenly pulled me into an unexpected hug, slightly crushing my ribs. I was so taken aback but soon realised that it hadn't been hugging him back and had just been standing there motionless and awkward.

I hugged him back out of pure decency and then he said "I'm sorry. I was an asshole and should've treated you better. I was just so excited to have a girl coming on tour with us but then you and Shawn got together. I'll admit that I was jealous but I guess I'm over it now". He then pulled away, probably to look at my reaction.

My jaw had dropped and my eyes were wide. Hayes...just apologised to me? I couldn't get it through my head. "So everything you did was out of jealously?" I asked, hardly believing what I had just heard come out of his mouth.

He nodded sadly then replied with "I acted irrationally. I just hated that you two were together so I thought to get you to leave so none of us could have you was a good idea".

"You tried to make me leave?! By being an ass?" I asked loudly, staring at him. "Uh, yeah, I guess you could say that".

"All because you had a crush on me?"

"A huge crush to be exact"

I suddenly got a huge lump in my throat, unable to respond with anything. I was surprised to say the least. Never in a million years would I have thought I'd be hearing that, especially from Hayes Grier. But in my defence, I never thought I'd be on the Magcon tour with people screaming at me so I would get a picture with them. It was surreal.

"Sorry, that was a little much" Hayes apologised, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly. "It's fine" I said, trying to hide my blushing face. It was all a little embarrassing.

"I should probably go downstairs to the boys. Have fun packing" he said, spinning around to leave.

"Doubt I will" I said with a chuckle, Hayes joining in. He then left with a soft bang of the door, leaving me alone, still trying to comprehend what just happened.

Does this mean Hayes and I are cool? I mean, he did apologise and it seemed pretty sincere. Is it possible that he's changed? I'd like to hope so.

I just stood there motionless, staring lamely at the door. Noticing my absence of consciousness, I begun packing again, shoving clothes and makeup into my suitcase, pushing everything down with my palms so it would all fit inside. I'm not exactly a light-packer.

I couldn't help but gain respect for Hayes after he said those things. He was kind, honest and geniune, also a little bit brave. That took balls to admit to all of those things.

It's so strange how your opinion of someone could change so quickly. I'm not going to forget what he did but I'm willing to forgive and look past it for the duration of the tour and hopefully longer. I never would label myself as someone who holds grudges and I don't want to start now.

I soon finished packing and threw my bag on to the floor, discarding it for later when we leave. There was one more night left and the last thing I wanted to think about was rushing the boys to the airport and through it as quickly and orderly as possible.

I sat on my bed and threw my head back, exhausted, the whole week-correction, the whole tour-just was drawn into my system, my body aching of tiredness. Only now was the entire tour hitting me.

I decided I should probably go down to the boys, so that's what I did, taking the elevator and exiting it when it reached the lobby, strolling past filled luggage carts and bustling people, all the way to the café.

I soon found the boys, all sitting around a large dark wood table, tucking into food and messing around with each other. I walked over to them and sat down, grabbing a piece of toast from a plate placed in the middle of the table.

"Did you finish packing?" Johnson asked, his mouth full of toast. I nodded, chuckling a bit at the sight of Johnson with his face stuffed.

The brief conversation ended quickly as everyone resumed eating. I swear, these guys could eat a full buffet and still not be stuffed.