Chapter 25 - It Will Take Time

Shawn's POV

"I think I might have an idea".

"What is it?" Matt asked, curiously showing on his face.

"Nevermind. It won't work" I then sighed. I didn't think the thing through. Matt sighed and stared at the ground, obvious that he was thinking.

"Let's just go ask Sofie" Matt huffed, walking away and pushing through the doors, not giving me a chance to persuade him.

I ran after him inside and saw his storm over to Sofie. I raced after him, hoping he wouldn't do anything irrational. I didn't want her to get upset, especially if she didn't do it, which I think is true. Sofie wouldn't do that to me.

"Can I speak to you? In private" Matt said through gritted teeth, staring down at Sofie who was tapping on her phone.

"Sure, one second. Let me finish this text to Alexis" she replied politely, oblivious to his irritation.

Matt tapped his foot impatiently on the ground and said "Now". He then quickly added in a calmer tone "Please".

Sofie looked confused but still stood up, locking her phone and placing it in her pocket. She gave me a puzzled look to which I couldn't react to, simply because I didn't know how.

Sofie followed Matt and I outside, back to where Matt and I had our conversation. She wrapped her arms around her body to keep herself warm while Matt and I stood still, looking like we were ready to interrogate her, which in Matt's eyes was certainly the case, although I was less inclined to shove a torchlight in her face and quiz her.

"What's up, guys?" Sofie asked in a wary tone, looking from Matt to me. I felt sorry for putting pressure on her because I honestly don't think she did it. But I guess we just need to get to the bottom of this.

"Did you, or did you not, break Shawn's guitar?" Matt asked seriously, sounding like he was an episode of CSI. He didn't need to take it that seriously, but I wasn't going to stop him.

Sofie didn't reply instantly. In fact, it took her a while to get a sound out of her mouth. Her eyes were frantically looking everywhere but our eyes and she looked uneasy and even a little bit frightened. My hope that she didn't break my guitar was slowly fading.

"Sofie?" I said in a hushed tone, wishing she would deny ever touching my guitar. I was dreading her answer, especially if it was going to be negative.

She covered her hands with the sleeve I her flannel, staring down at her now-buried hands. I was practically begging on the inside for her to answer.

Matt scoffed in disbelief and looked at Sofie straight in her eyes, which looked exactly like Matt's.

"You did it, didn't you?" Matt asked, his tone stern.

"I'm sorry!" she blurted out in a yell. Her eyes were watering and she looked extremely guilty. "I didn't mean to!".

"You broke it!?" I shouted, not believing it. I had so much faith in her, I couldn't believe what was coming out of her mouth.

Sofie nodded slowly, her eyes not meeting mine. My own girlfriend, broke my beloved guitar? It was a huge shock.

"Why?" I managed to say, hoping for a reasonable answer, something I could forgive her for and clear up this whole mess.

"It....It was an accident" she said quietly, it barely coming out as a whisper.

I ran my fingers through my hair quickly, messing it up. It was evident that she had no real excuse, nothing to make me forgive her in an instant. An accident? I couldn't forgive her that instantly.

"Shawn, I'm so sorry-" she begun, trying to pull me close to her, but I shoved her away.

"I...I just need time to think about all this" I muttered, scared to look up at her, not wanting to see her hurt expression. It would kill me.

"Will you ever forgive me?" she asked quietly. I sighed and responded with "I don't know. I just need to be alone".

I raced back inside, holding back my hurt and hopeless tears. I rushed past all of our friends and entered the bathroom, concealed from everyone else.

I was going to have to forgive her someday. I couldn't go on without forgiving her. But I needed time. It was so much to take in, so much to figure out. I love her, but it's hard to forgive someone after they do something like this. Even if it was an accident.

I leaned my head against the wall, hearing the faint sound of people cheering and laughing from the other room.

I felt like I couldn't silence my mind, like the sound around me couldn't block out just for one minute. I was stood in the bathroom, trying to think but my thoughts were constantly interrupted by noise.

I took a deep breath and concentrated. I had to think things over, the sooner the better.

Being with Sofie was the best thing that ever happened to me. I can't hold grudges forever, not even for a week. Like she said, it was an accident. But a big and serious one. One that broke me down inside.

She never even told me the truth. It took Matt to convince her to tell us, and the words didn't even come from her. She kept it from me. That, I felt, put our trust on the line. I may be acting over dramatic about the whole thing, but it hurt me. That guitar has been with me for my whole music career and it was like breaking a piece of my heart.

That guitar mattered to me as much as Sofie does...

Exactly. That guitar matters to me as much as Sofie does. How could I have been so oblivious?

If Sofie broke my heart, I would feel as bad and miserable as I did when my guitar was broken. I would probably feel even worse. So if Sofie matters to me that much, shouldn't I forgive her?

The thoughts I finally managed to think about were loudly interrupted by a pounding on the bathroom door. Why were they knocking, it was the bathroom, not a cubicle?

"Shawn, are you okay?" a voice called out. I responded with "Yeah, I'm fine".

Just then, Nash strolled in and spotted me immediately. He walked over to me and slung his arm around my shoulder in a friendly manner.

"What happened out there?" he asked with sincere concern, something I truly appreciated. I shrugged and replied with "Can we talk about this later? I'm a little messed up right now".

Nash quickly answered with "Of course. I just wanted to know if you were okay". He smiled and me and I half-smiled back, the smile not even reaching my eyes. It was going to take a while to fix myself, but I'm going to make the effort at least.

******

Short chapter, but I promise, big things are coming so stay tuned 😉

Please vote and comment and thanks for reading 😘