Clean: Chapter 11

My parents are still screaming by the time I climb back out my window, Aizawa shutting it behind me.

My eyes screw shut as I kneel down, covering my ears.

"Please, just make them stop. It's like their screaming never goes away, no matter where I go."

Aizawa places his hands over mine and I open my eyes, seeing him kneeled in front of me. His lips are pursed and he looks almost lost, like he doesn't know what to do.

He has no idea what to do with me.

I feel a lump in my throat at that look.

"I'm so sorry. About all this. You shouldn't have to deal with me."

"I'm not 'dealing with you'. I'm looking out for you, just as I have been for the past few years. Listen to me, okay?"

I look up at him again as a single tear slides down.

"You deserve so much better than this. You trust me, right?"

I pause before nodding frantically. "I trust you."

"Then I need you to trust me now. I don't want to see you in pain anymore, okay?"

The lump in my throat grows more, so I only nod again.

He lets out a soft breath, patting the top of my head. "Thank you."

He proceeds to lead me down the fire escape. He drops into the alley below and looks around before motioning to me, telling me to jump down.

I drop down beside him like a ninja, landing on my feet and crouching so my hands touch the ground in order to keep myself steady.

I stand and Aizawa nods in seemingly approval, walking towards the street. I follow after him with my backpack on my back and the adrenaline slowly filling my veins.

I wonder if this is how kids feel when they sneak out.

We step out into the street, where the lights are bright as ever and random people walk along the sidewalks. They give us odd looks and I shy away from their gazes, stepping behind Aizawa.

"Alright. Sit on that bench." He points at a metal bench by the side of the road, making sure I see it. "Present Mic will be here soon to pick you up. I know you're tired, but he's actually a lot more quiet when he's not teaching or on hero duty."

I nod, adjusting my bag's straps.

"Oh, and one more thing." He holds out a pen. "Take this. If anything happens, if you're in any danger, click it. Even if it's just your parents."

I nod again, taking it and tucking it into my boot.

He reaches into his pocket again and pulls out a small pouch, which I recognize as his little protein packs. He hands it to me.

"I doubt you've eaten dinner, so have this. Present Mic will make sure you eat some real food when you get there."

I mumble a thank you as I take it. He sighs before turning around, then quickly facing me again.

"Do you feel better? You know... After-"

"Crying? Yeah, I'm okay. I'm just... exhausted."

He nods and turns again, walking into the alley. He uses his capture weapon to get back to the rooftop.

I walk to the bench and sit down, popping the cap off my protein pouch. I pull out my almost-dead phone as I drink the contents.