Fix: Chapter 45

"I can't believe you guys made me stay up all night," I complain. "I am going to beat your fucking asses when I get the chance."

"Aw!" Ashido cheers, throwing her arms around my shoulders as we walk down the sidewalk, the four of them in their uniforms while I wear high-waisted jeans and a random band t-shirt that I cannot guarantee isn't Yamada's. "You love us and you know it, babe! I'll buy you all the coffee you want."

I roll my eyes, begging myself to not smile. "I appreciate that, but I'm on a strict no-coffee diet."

"Says who?" Sero asks, slipping his phone into his pocket.

I grumble, "Tokoyami."

They all start giggling and I feel my cheeks burn. "Shut up!"

Ashido pokes at my cheek playfully. "Your friendship with them is so sweet! They're wrapped around your little finger."

I scoff and roll my eyes, though it's more of an endearing gesture than a malicious one. "They're not."

Kirishima hums mockingly. "Sure. Whatever you say, (Y/N)-San."

I hear Kaminari mumble something, then he speaks up. "Why do you call her by her first name?"

Kirishima fumbles with his words so I step in. "I'm not associated with my family name anymore, so I don't use it. You can all use my given name, if you'd like. I don't really care."

Well, I do care. But I don't want it to seem like a huge deal, because it isn't.

Right? Right. But they can't call me Aizawa. That'd be weird, and way too revealing.

But I'm basically his kid, so what's the harm? Besides being perceived as the teacher's kid. And besides, there's no guarantee I'll be sticking around forever. It's temporary.

Right? Right.

... Right.

***

Kaminari falls asleep twice in homeroom, once in first period, sleeps through lunch, and takes a nap before English class.

Yamada-San collected the homework, where Kirishima turned to look at me with a grin, and Kaminari turned it in with his head down, hand shaking slightly. My concern felt unbearable, then.

Maybe I'm not the only one feeling the effects of staying up all night.

Yamada surprises everyone with a test, in which I glare and he subtly kicks my ankle as he places the test on my desk. I have to hold back a laugh as he continues on.

It was easy enough, and I was very confident in all of my answers, and when I turned my test in first with a mocking smile at Yamada, he simply narrowed his eyes and stuck out his tongue. I returned the gesture, then smiled genuinely and walked back to my seat.

After class, everyone files out for heroics, including Yamada, but I stay seated. And oddly enough, so does Kaminari.

I stay silent, watching Kaminari's shoulders move up and down, then start to shake as I hear a soft sob.

I'm immediately out of my seat, then, and Kaminari's head shoots up to look at me.

"(Y/N)-San, ah, I thought- I thought everyone left, m'sorry," he says nasally, wiping tears from his face.

"Dont apologize," I reprimand softly, "are you alright?"

"Peachy!" He grins, giving a thumbs up and a head tilt that I'd dare say is cute.