Empty: Chapter 60

That night, as I'm on the phone again with Yamada and Aizawa and we've talked about everything that happened to come up, I find myself unable to end the call after saying goodbye. The unease must show because Yamada leans in real close to the camera.

"Something on your mind, dear?"

I shrug, pulling my blanket closer around my neck. "Kinda. It's dumb, though."

"Nonsense! What ails you?"

I snort softly, shaking my head. "I... I don't know. I just... Miss my bed, I guess. Miss the cats."

"Aww, are you feelin' homesick?"

"... Yeah, I think so. It's great here, don't get me wrong. I'm learning a lot, and it's cool that I get to work with one of my favorite heroes... But it's weird being away from home for so long."

"I know exactly how you feel. If it ever gets to be too much, we're always only a call away, kiddo. You're not alone!" Aizawa leans into frame, nodding.

Right. I'm not alone.

I smile to myself, feeling stupidly sentimental and tired. "I miss you."

"Miss you too, kid," Aizawa says first, then Yamada chimes in with his own, "It's awfully empty without you here."

"Just four more days," I mumble, and whether it's meant more for me or for them, I'm not really sure.

***

I throw a punch at the training dummy, following quickly with a raised leg. I hook my ankle around the dummy's neck, shift the foot on the ground, and spin to slam the dummy's body against the ground.

Disgusting amounts of sweat drip from my body and I hunch over, hands on my knees, feelings my legs wobble.

"Need a break, kid?"

I nod, sitting on the bench and waving the front of my shirt back and forth, forcing airflow against my skin.

"Don't overheat on me now. Here." I look up, taking the water bottle she holds out. "Your new costume. What does it look like?"

"Uh," I pause, visualizing it in my head, "not much different than before. Black cargo pants with this belt for my vials. A high-neck, long-sleeve black shirt. I'll probably get rid of this mask, I'm not sure yet."

She raises an eyebrow. "Seems a little familiar."

I turn up my nose, averting my gaze. After a few sips of water, I respond, "It's simply practical."

"Mhm."

I roll my eyes, putting my bottle down.

"It also sounds really warm. With as much as you move around and sweat, you should consider less material."

I shake my head immediately. "I can't."

"Come on, kid. No one cares about a few scars."

I freeze, turning to look her in the eyes with a small glare. "I assure you I don't know what you're talking about."

She sits next to me, holding out a hand. I hesitantly place my hand in hers and she clasps it softly, moving her other hand to my sleeve.

I try to pull away. "Stop."

She pauses, making eye contact. "They're nothing to be ashamed of."

"They're ugly."

She seems slightly caught off-guard, dropping my hand.