Renovation: Chapter 33

When I wake up again, Nemuri-San is gone and a male nurse is switching out my IV fluid.

     I squint at the clock. It's a little past noon. I missed breakfast, but lunch will be here in about half an hour.

     "Good morning, (L/N)-San," he says happily, stepping back and looking at me. "How are you feeling?"

     "Um, groggy. But I'm okay."

     "Is there anything I can get you?"

     I shake my head. "No. Thank you, though."

     "Alrighty," he says softly. "If there's nothing, I'll bring you your lunch now, okay?"

     I nod. "Thank you."

     "Don't even mention it."

     The rest of the hour passes in a blur. Satsuki brings lunch back, along with apple juice so I can drink something besides water. Even my lunch is the same as all of my meals yesterday. A small bowl of soup, a cup of jello, a cup of applesauce, and water.

     It's bland, but it's a precautionary measure in case they have to go back in for a second surgery.

     No thanks.

     So I eat without (much) complaint by myself in my room with the TV droning on about UA's irresponsibility in handling the USJ incident.

     After that, a lady comes in with a cart of books and video games. I choose a book and read for about forty-five minutes, then get bored and put it off to the side.

     I yawn and lay the bed down, deciding a nap would be nice before Aizawa and Yamada get here.

***

     I don't remember actually falling asleep until I'm jerked awake by something, though I don't know what it is.

     I wait several seconds, then look at the clock to see that it's five o'clock in the afternoon.

     I perk up as someone knocks on the door.

     “Um, come in,” I call softly, rubbing a hand over my throat. It feels better, but still weak.

     The door pops open and Yamada-San peeks his head in, then grins.

     “I brought friends!” He says. I raise an eyebrow.

     “Have mercy,” I mumble, and the door is practically thrown open, revealing a whole group of people who I didn’t know were coming along.

     There’s Aizawa and Yamada, of course, and behind them is Tokoyami, Shouji, Jirou, Kirishima, Ojirou, Yaoyorozu, and Iida.

     “H-Hey-” I start, but I’m cut off by Kirishima.

     “It’s way too dark in here! How are you ever supposed to recover with a depressing room like this?”

     He speed-walks to the window and pulls open the shades, then lifts the blinds. I block my eyes as the bright sunlight streams through the glass.

     “U-Um-”

     “We brought a bunch of stuff from the class," Ojirou says, holding up an armful of different kinds of gifts.

     My eyes go wide and I open my mouth to resist, but he’s already putting them on my bedside table.

     “And a bunch of us got you these!” Yaoyorozu says excitedly, holding up several bouquets of flowers.