Creaky: Chapter 47

"You'll be having appointments with Recovery Girl every day to speed up the healing process," Aizawa says, standing in my doorway as I lay upside-down, top of my head against the ground as my body stretches out across my bed.

     "Huh?" I ask eloquently. "But. Why didn't we do that in the first place, then?"

     "Your body was too weak and she was nervous that you'd end up in more pain." He gestures vaguely at my position. "You seem to be doing just fine now, though."

     I put my hands against the floor and kick my legs up, over my head, and land on the ground with a loud thud. I stand, get dizzy, and stumble into the wall.

     I giggle furiously as Aizawa rolls his eyes. "Head rush. Alright, so why are we doing it? I only have two months of recovery left before I can go back to heroics."

     He looks at me funny. "The Sports Festival is in three weeks."

     My jaw drops.

     Fuck.

     "I... I can't believe I forgot. Like, I've been busy, but- have I been that busy? Between school, Kaminari, Kirishima, all my friends, it just... Oh, my God." I put my hand against my forehead. "I need to train. I've been slacking with the gym because I can't lift over thirty pounds, running hurts, stairs hurt, what am I gonna-"

     There are suddenly hands on my shoulders and I snap my head up, meeting eyes with Aizawa.

     "Breathe. You're hyperventilating."

     I nod slowly, then focus on returning my breathing back to normal for a few seconds. I ask, softly this time, "What am I gonna do? I'm falling behind."

     "You're not. Even if the past month or so has been rough, you haven't forgotten your training or gotten any weaker. Tone up, get some sleep, and you'll be ready to kick their asses."

     I grin. "You shouldn't pick favorites, as a teacher."

     "I'm not just your teacher, kid." He pats my head, and when the shock leaves my system, he's gone.

***

     "Sit," Recovery Girl says, pointing at the bed.

     I do, quickly. It's the next day, after school and Kaminari's study session, and Aizawa picked me up from the station and brought me back to the school for my very first appointment.

     "So... How exactly are we doing this?" I ask nervously. "I mean, it could be fatal for me if you use your quirk too much, right?"

     She holds up a hand. "Too much at once. Over the next week, I will heal small parts at a time. By the time the Sports Festival rolls around, you'll be good to go."

     She glares at Aizawa, who stands in the corner. "I would never hear the end of it if I didn't allow you to participate."

     As soon as Recovery Girl turns away from him, Aizawa gives me a thumbs-up.

     I shake my head. "Alright. So, am I gonna pass out? How much energy are you taking? I'm limited as is, you know."

     "I'll leave enough for you to get home, eat, then directly to bed. You'll sleep through the night."

     When was the last time I slept all the way through the night?

     Maybe if you didn't stay up so late texting Shinsou, you'd be able to.

     Shut up, disembodied voice in my head. You're the one who convinces me that it's worth it.

     He's just a boy. Since when are you boy-crazy?

     I'm not boy-crazy, he's a friend. A very pretty friend. I have loads of pretty friends.

     Especially Ashido.

     Especially Ashido.

     A throat is cleared and I snap back to the present. She's raising an eyebrow at me, and I smile nervously.

     "Uh... No."

     "You have no idea what I asked, do you?"

     I scratch the back of my head.

     "Uh... No."

     She shakes her head in mock disapproval. "Are you ready?"

     "Uh, to start?" I ask. "Yeah."

     She leans forward and kisses my forehead with a loud 'chu', and it feels like the energy is being siphoned from my body.

     My lower abdomen itches and aches briefly, goes cold, then feels warm. All feeling subsides after a while, leaving behind a faint tingling.

     I look up. "That was the weirdest sensation I have ever felt."

     "You get used to it," Aizawa says.

     "You ignore him," Recovery Girl tells me, rolling her eyes. "He fakes injuries just so I put him to sleep."

     I gape at him and he stands straighter. "That paper cut was very real."

     "Hizashi said he was next to you and he watched you do it. Get out of my office, I don't associate with liars."

     He grumbles. "I'm not a liar. "

     "Get out. And get your kid some food, she'll be starving when she wakes up if you don't."

     He stays quiet for a minute before gesturing for me to follow him.

     "This doesn't mean you win the argument," he informs her.

     "Whatever you say, liar."

     I laugh as we walk out, Aizawa slouching with his hands in his pockets as he walks. I shake my head with an eyeroll, jogging after him to keep up.

***

     When we get home, Yamada is plating dinner and humming along to the radio. I slump down in one of the chairs after taking off my shoes and untucking my shirt from my jeans.

Yamada turns to Aizawa and moves his hands around in front of himself. Aizawa signs back a few simple hand gestures, but I don't understand sign language, so I elect to put my head down.

"Don't sleep yet. I won't be able to wake you up and Chiyo will kill me if I don't make you eat."

"I'm not hungry," I mumble.

"You are, you're just tired. Promise. You don't have to eat everything, but you have to eat enough."

I sit up, rubbing at the bags under my eyes. "I haven't been this tired in months." It's actually a feeling I really don't like anymore. My eyes feel warm but I don't cry.

Yamada gives us our plates of food and we say our thanks, then eat.

I only get maybe halfway through what I would usually eat before I catch my head from dropping, sitting up straighter and shaking my head.

I take a few more bites before my grip loosens and I drop my fork, which makes my eyes jump open. When did I close them?

"Alright, alright. Before you pass out in your food. Go get in bed."

I hum, carefully standing from my chair.

"Good night," I mumble, giving Yamada a quick hug since I didn't get to spend much time with him today, then smiling softly as Aizawa ruffles my hair when I hug him.

"We'll wake you up in the morning, kiddo," Yamada says. "See you later."

I hum again as I walk down the hall, using the last bit of my energy to change into something more comfortable than jeans. I collapse into my bed, only manage to pull the blanket over my feet, and pass out.