Chapter Six - Butterflies

Start from the beginning

"Luke and I," Annabeth responded sounding proud of herself. "Clarrise made a mistake by trying to rush us."

"Oh cool," I said doing my best to sound interested. I was more interested in how Thalia was acting around Annabeth. It reminded me of how she acted around Luke. Just silently staring at her.

"What's with the butterfly?" Annabeth asked. I looked at my shoulder to see the butterfly moved closer to my neck, kind of like a parrot on pirates.

I shrugged. "It just appeared and it won't go away," I told her.

Annabeth grimaced as she waved at the butterfly taking care not to hit me. "Shoo." She ordered. The butterfly stayed no longer fluttering its wings. The wings were up. "That's not a good sign."

"Why not?" I asked confused. "It's just a harmless insect."

"Well, all animals and insects have a deeper meaning," Annabeth explained. "Like names they have deeper meaning sometimes."

"Oh yeah." I knew some names had some kind of meaning behind them.

"And the butterfly usually represents the soul. There's this goddess named Psyche which means soul. So the butterflies are usually meant to represent her." She said her eyes moved to the butterfly who hadn't moved an inch since her arrival. "Or it can represent depart souls."

"Dead people," I said my gaze slowly drifting to Thalia who was now next to Annabeth and looking at the butterfly.

"Yeah," Annabeth replied. "Butterflies don't really appear near Camp Half-Blood."

The butterfly lowered its wings as it started its climb up my neck. I flinched my neck tickling as I resist the urge to press it into my shoulder blade. The tickling feeling reached my cheek and ended on my ear. Annabeth's silver eyes were silently watching the creature. Her eyes landed on my forehead where the tickling sensation started again.

"The wings are usually associated with Psyche while butterflies are connected with another god," Annabeth added narrowing her eyes at the insect. "It really does seem to like you."

"Animals usually run away from me," I said making Annabeth look down to make eye contact with me. The vision of Annabeth with a giant spider appeared and disappeared quickly as I focused on eye contact with the blonde. "Does the butterfly liking me make me weird?"

Annabeth's eyes slightly at my question. "No, it's just odd."

Isn't odd just another word for weird? "Who is the other god with butterflies?" I asked curiously. Annabeth's grey eyes turned stern as she directed her glare to the ground below us.

"I-I can't say his name." She admitted. I noticed the slight twitching of her hands as she stared at the ground. She wasn't angry, fear maybe. Before I could question her farther she quickly picked up the two discarded wooden swords. "Come on we better get back to camp soon."

"Okay," I said following her back to camp. I waved goodbye to Thalia, who returned it with her lips in a straight line.

Depart souls, huh? I wonder if the butterfly was meant for Thalia. I would be sad if Thalia were to disappear but being stuck to the same place for all eternity must be terrible. At least she was a more calm spirit.

My body shivered at the thought of other ghosts.

A small tingle arouse from my forehead. I looked upwards only to catch a small glimpse of (f/c). The tickling sensation continued as I let out a small giggle.

"Trying to cheer me up?" I mumbled quietly lifting a single finger towards it. My finger tingled telling me the butterfly touched it. "Thank you."