Chapter Four - Strawberry Bonding

"I would keep your stuff close by," Luke said as I laid out my white sleeping bag that Luke let me borrow. "People like to loot here."

I nodded putting my backpack back on. The white sleeping bag stood out among the other ones that were different colors. The entire Hermes cabin floor was covered in sleeping bags along with random knick-knacks scattered on the floor. There were only a few bunks. I wonder how many kids actually sleep in here. And not all of them would be Hermes kids. Its where everyone goes before they get claimed.

Sleeping in a small area made me feel a bit scared but I pushed it down trying not to think about it.

"Okay, now what?" I asked walking back to Luke who was sitting on one of the bottom bunks. I sat next to him swinging my legs cheerfully.

Before he could respond a loud growl sounded from between us. I groaned holding my empty stomach. Luke gave me a sympathetic smile.

"There's a strawberry field, we can go steal some." Luke offered standing up. I followed nodding in agreement. "You didn't eat breakfast?"

"We were out of cereal," I responded honestly. "And mommy always burns the eggs."

I got off Luke's bed and started following him outside the cabin. "My mom always burns cookies." He said sounding a bit sad.

"I like my mommy's cinnamon rolls," I said smiling about the baked good. "Ms.Jackson makes better cookies."

"Ms.Jackson?" Luke asked sounding a bit amused.

I nodded. "She's our neighbor and her son is super nice. But her husband is a goblin."

Luke's smile only grew at that making me feel proud of myself. "I bet he isn't that bad."

My nose cringed in disgust. "He always smells funny and he's mean to Percy." I frowned remembering the few times I've been to Percy's apartment. His stepdad yelled at Percy a lot and was mean to Ms.Jackson. "He's not even Percy's real dad."

"Not all parents are good," Luke told me frowning. He looked at the other campers who were doing archery. I noticed Annabeth over there with a few other kids.

I didn't bother to respond as we walked in silence. I frowned at that. Not all parents are good, he wasn't wrong but not all parents are bad. Mommy and Ms.Jackson aren't the best but they do their best with what they have. Mommy does her best to be with me at most times even if her schedule conflicts with mine. She makes sure we always eat dinner together.

And I couldn't see Ms. Jackson doing anything that didn't support Percy. Apparently, even her marriage to Percy's stepdad was meant to help him. She was a great mom too.

I wonder if he was talking about the gods?

My gaze looked around us to see kids playing volleyball. So, many different opportunities to make new friends. And they were just like me.

"Annabeth!" Luke's voice cut through my thoughts. Luke was waving his hands towards Annabeth who looked at him. She turned to talk to brunette next to her before running towards us a smile on her face.

"Hey, Luke." She greeted before looking at me, her smile lowered a bit. "(F/N)."

Something was wrong. I frowned noticing Annabeth was less excited to see me. I guess it makes sense we don't really know each other.

"Can you please let (F/N) borrow the Illiad?" Luke asked her. Annabeth raised an eyebrow. "Chiron wants her to study Greek stuff and reading Greek books might help."

Annabeth nodded in understanding. "Sure, it's in my cabin. But wouldn't she do better if someone taught her?"

Luke glanced at me before looking at Annabeth. "But shes the youngest one here, I don't want to overwhelm her with everything. Plus Friday is tomorrow."