Chapter 20: Partners

3rd Person POV

At the Autobot Base

"Arcee?" Dante called, looking for his partner. All the others had left for their homes already, and Dante currently was the only 'human' left. Frowning when he couldn't find her, Dante walked over to a nearby wall, removed a panel, and let his exoskeleton seep over the wiring inside.

Shifting through several cameras around the base, he located Arcee on the roof and retracted his exoskeleton. "Found ya." With that, he walked back to the main room, ignoring Ratchet, who was busy working on a monitor, and over to the elevator, which took him topside.

Exiting the elevator, Dante spotted Arcee standing in front of a grave, seemingly talking to herself.

"Hey partner, heck of a view you got up here. If there's even a small chance your spark's out there listening well... we could really use you, Cliff."

This must be Cliffjumper's gravesite, Dante realized.

"Seems like every day another Decepticon arrives on the scene," Arcee continued. "We're outnumbered, and we're outgunned." She smiled sadly. "Yeah, I know what you'd say: 'Sounds like a fair fight'." She gave a small huff. "If that's the world we live in..." She made a fist. "...so be it. I just want you to know... I haven't given up. I'm going to find the Con who took you from us."

"You miss him, don't you?" Dante asked, revealing himself.

Arcee started and turned around. "How long have you been there?"

"Long enough," Dante replied.

Arcee frowned. "It's not really nice to spy on people, Dante."

"I know, but I was worried about you." Dante glanced over at the grave. "You know, I think he'd be happy that you were his partner. I can speak for the both of us when I say that you are definitely the best."

Arcee smiled. "Thanks, Dante." Then she glanced back toward the grave. "Do you miss her? The friend you lost?"

Dante winced. "Every single day."

"Sorry," Arcee apologized. "I know it's a sore subject for you."

"It's fine," Dante told her. "In fact, if I kept mourning her and didn't do anything else, she'd probably come back from the dead to tell me to stop acting like an idiot and keep on surviving." Then he looked toward her. "And I think Cliff would want that for you, too."

Arcee sighed. "I guess you're right." Then she glanced down at the base below. "We should probably get you back home."

Dante nodded in agreement, and the two of them walked into the elevator and started down.

Eventually, they reached the bottom and were about to head over to the exit when an alert went off.

"Optimus," Ratchet called. "Our scanners have detected a Decepticon energy profile, but it's... ancient."

"The past has a way of catching up with the present, Ratchet," Optimus said.

"I just hope mine doesn't," Dante muttered to Arcee.

Arcee nodded in agreement.

"Ratchet, call in the others," Optimus ordered. "We are going to investigate."

Dante turned to Arcee. "I'll catch you later. Just need to pull a few Aces... if you know what I mean."

Arcee's eyes widened before she nodded. "Alright. Ratchet, mind bridging Dante home?"