Chapter 16: Operation: Breakdown

3rd Person POV

At Dante's house

Flashback Start

The Rev-9 stalked along the edge of a building as a squad of resistance soldiers below fired at a group of Rev-7's. Positioning himself above them and forming his blades, he jumped down and stabbed a pair of resistance soldiers before getting up and moving to cut down several more, his blades slashing through bone, flesh, and sinew with ease.

Eventually, there were no more left to kill, and the Rev-9 retracted his blades before crouching down and taking on the appearance of one of the resistance soldiers. Grabbing one of their blasters, he signaled for the squad of Rev-7's to wait before he walked into the base.

The Rev-9 made it to the end of the checkpoint. "Evening," he greeted. "Just got back from recon. It's chaos out there."

"Glad to see you made it back, Charlie," one of the resistance soldiers said. "But you know the drill, weapons in the locker."

The Rev-9 did as asked and walked forward through the metal detector, which beeped. The Rev-9 smirked sadistically. "Oops." He formed his blades and slashed one soldier's throat before pivoting and stabbing the other through the skull.

The Rev-9 smirked as his face went back to his own before he sent out a signal for the Rev-7's to enter. With that, the Rev-9 and his squad purged the base of resistance fighters while Legion watched through its puppets' eyes as they massacred everyone in the base.

Eventually, the Rev-9 exited the base, the Rev-7's right behind him as the hunter killer airships opened fire, blowing the base to pieces. The flames illuminated the Rev-9's face as he entered a hunter killer and it took him and his squad back to base.

Flashback End

Dante jerked awake from the memory, both of his arms forming into blades, but there was no one there. Realizing this, he sighed and unformed his blades. He hated remembering the deeds he had done under the control of Legion.

Just then, he heard a voice from outside. "Dante? You okay?" Groaning, he rolled out of his bed and opened up the window, revealing Arcee waiting outside in bot form. "Are you alright?" she asked in concern. "You sounded like you were having a nightmare."

"More like a memory," Dante muttered. "But honestly, I can't tell the difference between the two anymore."

Arcee looked at him in concern. "Was it about...?" she trailed off.

"My time in the war? Yes," Dante answered as he stretched. He had decided to recharge last night since he had finally finished his projects and decided to get some well-earned rest. "Anyways," he said, trying to change the subject, "what time is it?"

"About six in the morning," she replied. "Quite dreary out there, too."

"Anything interesting happen?"

Arcee thought for a second. "Bulkhead came back from a showdown with Breakdown and is currently getting patched up by Ratchet."

"Did he take down Breakdown or something?" he asked.

"Miko asked the same thing, but no. Someone else did. He said that all he heard was a copter, but Agent Fowler said that he didn't have anyone in the area," Arcee answered.

Dante frowned. "I think I might have an idea of who did it." He hoped that he was wrong, but it seemed like the archives were proving right once again.