# 23. Acceptance

"I don't hate you, I just wish it didn't have to happen this way, I just wish we could go back to the old us and start all back over. I never imagined getting married this way, I never imagined getting kids this way, and I never imagined my life going this way." I sincerely said to him, 'my father cared enough to make Shane sign his rights away all those years ago' I thought to myself.

"Learn from our fathers mistakes Maria, it'll do you some good." That was the last thing he said before walking away. 

Maria's POV

I wanted to see my father, I know he didn't want to see me but I wanted to see him. I felt as if this was my goodbye, as if this was me trying to do right by him. I decided that it would be best to do as Mars said, in the end my daughter was very fond of him and they were offering me a better life away from Shane. It wasn't my ideal life but it was something, it was a new start. I felt as if I owed my father an apology, I wanted his forgiveness and I wanted to thank him for trying to protect Kylie before he even knew her.

I knew that this wasn't just going to fall into my lap, I knew that there were going to be good and bad days, maybe more bad than good but it was a new start and I need to show that I'm grateful. I made up my mind that I was going to visit my father but I had to find  out where he was first, I decided to make a call to Melissa. I walked into the living room to use the house phone, I didn't have one due to the fact that we never went back to the apartment to get my things. As I was about to pick up the phone Alexander walked into the living room and made his way towards me, I stood there frozen like a child caught with her had in the forbidden cookie jar.

" What are you doing?" He looked at my hand clenched tightly around the house phone.

I raised my eyes to meet his. " I want to make a call to Melissa, I'd like to take Kylie with me to see my father today." I voiced to him, his intense stare made me shake on sight.

He reached forward with his hand barely moving to take the phone out of my grasp while my hands fell to my side. " Don't hold the phone like that." He said in a strained voice, I looked at him confused. Before I could ask him what he was talking about he cleared his throat and spoke.

"You can a wait a while before going to see your father, your new wardrobe is being delivered today along with your basic needs and electronics. Same thing goes for Kylie, as for seeing your father I'll be the one taking you. " With that he held onto my hand and led me out of the living room and towards the the stairs, he took me to the room that I was presently staying in. 

" This is my room, you're free to stay here but I want my room back so I'll be using it. You can choose to room with Kylie or I can have one of the maids assign you a room of your choice." I nodded at him, as he dropped my hand and made his way to the foot of the bed to sit he signaled for me to follow his action, I hesitated for a second but then decided to do as he asked. 

"I'll assume that Mars filled you in on everything but I figured I should inform you myself, I'm not asking you to sacrifice your life just to follow a few simple rules. I like Kylie she's a great kid but she also have her cons which I'm willing to work with. " He angled his body to face mine while I remained quiet.

" You have a choice whether you want to have a wedding or just have us sign the marriage licences." He made sure to hold eye contact to gauge my reaction to his words. 

I lowered my eyes from his to reply. "I'd prefer if we just signed, it would make everything easier for the both of us and Kylie. " 

"You should never lower your eyes, confident or not." He raised my chin to make eye contact with him, I nodded at his words.