47

2 days left to end of soulmate bond

HYOJIN POV

I push open the rusty handrail to the roof, hearing it creak loudly behind me as I step out into the cold night. The air is fresh and crisp with the winter cold. I look around, recognising the beautiful cityscape. I'm on the Gyeongju Library rooftop.

As I look up, the moon is big and bright, shining down on me. It fills me with tranquillity, yet something about the moonlight makes me feel sad. A sudden breeze pulls my hair forward, making me spin around slowly. My eyes well up in tears as soon as I see who stands before me, smiling and holding his arms out to me.

"Dad..."

I run to him without hesitation and jump into his embrace, burying myself deep in him as he wraps his big arms around me. "I miss you everyday... It still hurts..."

As I cry into his familiar checkered shirt, I feel the tears disappear one by one. "My beautiful Hyojinnie, look how you've grown," his beloved gruff voice fills my ears.

I squeeze him tighter, never wanting to let go. He creates distance between us, still hugging but enough to look at my face. "You've really made me so happy. I couldn't be more proud of how you've become such an amazing woman in life."

"Everything I've done, I've done for you dad. I love you, I wish you never—" I choke on my words. "Never left," I whisper.

He crouches down to my level, wiping my tear away with his thumb. The warmth of his hand making me press my cheek against it holding his hand desperately.

"I know, Hyojinnie. Me too, I'm so sorry I can't be with you physically, but I never left your side. I'm with you through thick and thin, and now you will have to fight hard for me."

"W-what do you mean? Fight?" I ask him.

The moon begins to turn, the light slowly leaving the face of the earth. Everything before me starts disappearing out of sight darkness plaguing my vision. I panic, beginning to breathe hard. I'm forcefully pulled from my father's embrace, desperately trying to run back to him. "Don't go! Please! Not again!"

He smiles at me, a bright aura of freedom surrounding him now. "He'll come soon, don't worry." He turns his back, walking away into the dissociating ground. The ground below me drops to black, making me fall through into an endless pit of darkness.

"No!"

"HYOJIN!" a familiar voice pierces through the darkness.

"Ah!" My body jolts forward, my eyes shooting open. The suddenness of my action gives me whiplash, my head throbbing against the torn up floor. I take in my surroundings and anxiety shoots through my being. Abandoned building?

The floor is torn and tattered, littered with miscellaneous brown papers, dirty white walls encasing the room and a seemingly empty hallway outside the doorless walkway. "H-huh..."

I try to bring my hand to my head but feel it tied tightly with uncomfortable rope. I can't move. I can't move.

I whimper softly, trying to control my breathing and keep calm as long as possible. The last thing I remember was Doctor Kim checking up on me, what happened after?

Whispers and footsteps are heard outside, my heartbeat racing ten folds. "Get the money in my bank by the end of today," a familiar voice says. So Kim isn't an actual doctor?

He steps into the room, smiling sickly as soon as he sees me awake. "Ah, Hyojin! Had a good sleep?" He laughs, looking down at my body sprawled on the ground hands and legs tied to a fallen chair.

I stay silent, too freaked out to answer him. I knew there was something off about Minjun, but I never knew he'd go this length to get back at Jimin.

"H-how long out..." I mumble, unable to speak coherently.

"You've been asleep for at least four hours now! I guess the drug you took works really well, huh?" A sinsiter twinkle in his eye sends shiver down my spine.

Drug? I never took—

"Take two in the morning."

Doctor Kim. I knew there was something odd about not taking the pre-meds immediately.

"You must have many questions, right? Go ahead, ask. See if I'll answer you," he smirks.

I look around, realising this was one of the rooms being renovated for Cyber Club, meaning we are on site. I already know why I'm here and why I'm tied to a chair and what his real motive is for bringing me here, so everything he expects me to ask are just stating the obvious.

"Why go through all this?" I find my voice shakey.

His smirk falters, beginning to get irritated I'm not asking him what he expects. "What?"

"Why go to this extreme length to get back at Jimin? I may not be family, but I know the way you've always treated him. Does this have something to do with your mother?"

He kicks a nearby demolished piece of furniture, angry at my choice of words. He lifts me up by my hair, pulling me to face him. I cry out in pain, suddenly getting slapped in the face to shut up.

"You fucking bitch! Don't you dare bring her up. Ever. Again," he growls at me.

"Stop running! You need to face up to it some day or it sure as hell will bite you in the ass one day and it'll blow up so much worse than this!" I shout back, refusing to let myself feel intimidated.

"You don't know shit! Don't fucking tell me what to do. She should be the one apologising to me, shunning me away while she displayed Jimin like some fucking special jewel!"

He picks up my chair and puts it back on its feet, holding it in position as he swung his arm into my stomach.

I grunt in pain, feeling it shoot to my toes. I've never been handled like this before, his mere presence of mental instability is frightening. I pant heavily, the air knocked out of me and nausea at the back of my throat lurking.

"You bitch! Do you know how many times I had to restart the day because of you? Everything needs to be perfect, fucking cooperate if you know what's best for you!"

Wait, what?

"Restart the day? Y-you mean..." My eyes widen at the realisation. He sighs, unsure. For the first time he doesn't have an intimidating aura around him, but he finds it ridiculous having to explain himself.

"Hyerin and I are soulmates. We have special abilities, something you'll never believe even if I told you," he looks away frustrated, turning back almost instantly to glare at me. "I'm glad we accidentally stumbled upon it though, because now," he trails, bending down to my level, whispering into my ear chillingly. "You'll never be able to run from us."

So I was right. They really are... together.

But they don't know about me and Jimin.

More importantly, they don't know the cycle is ending soon and they won't be able to run away from their crimes.

Her obnoxious heels click in the hallway, catching both our attention. He smirks deviously, turning to me swiftly.

"I guess it's time," he says simply, undoing my restraints quickly.

"W-wha—"

Before I can process anything, he sticks a needle into my neck, draining the liquid into me and watching my body fall limp.