Chapter 43: War

The party had begun and everyone was taking advantage of the free bar. I was sat at the head table watching Xavier speak with my dad.

They both laughed and shared a drink together and I smiled knowing that they both got on with each other.

I've not felt this happy in a long time, nothing bad has happened yet. My daughter is now with me, with her father back into her life. My brother wasn't dead, instead, I am able to hear him call me Bambi every day.

Listen to his stupid jokes that he thought were hilarious, even if nobody else laughed at them. Jace my best friend stood by my side, I never thought a few years ago that we would ever be this close.

Caleb is well Caleb, who is currently sitting at the bar with a few drinks in front of him next to Oliver.

We were a one-time thing, and now it's like it never happened. We are still friends and he still works for me. Caleb on the other hand has been sour ever since Xavier proposed.

I thought he would have got over his little crush on me now, he knows we couldn't ever work and that it was just sex. Although I miss my friend, we were quite close back in college, he stood up for me whenever West was harsh towards me.

Callum was standing with Jace near the buffet, both of them picking at my large bowl of pickles which I requested as it's a favourite of mine. It has been since I was pregnant.

I stood up and made my way over to them carefully, trying not to trip over my dress or fall over in these ridiculous tall stilettos.

Jace noticed me first and elbowed Callum in the ribs who started to choke, and after a few hits on his back, a pickle flew out.

It hit someone on the back of their head and that's when I saw Rhett turn around with a scowl.

"Stop eating my pickles you two, there's plenty more to eat. God I didn't realise how much food there was, it could feed a bloody army and more so"

"That's Reagen for you" Jace spoke and threw another pickle in his mouth.

I shot him a playful glare as Rhett walked over "I'll let that pass because I like you, next time you won't be so lucky and by the way, I know you have a crush on Reagen"

"Get in there man, she's hot" Callum shouted and gave him a nudge.

My eyes rolled before I picked up a pickle myself and threw it at Callum's forehead "You think everyone is hot"

"True but I think you're beautiful, there's a big difference" I looked away from him.

"Jace can we dance, I'm sure Rhett here can keep Callum company" I took his hand and left giving him no room to answer.

We walked over to the dance floor, carefully dodging other people until we made it to the middle. Jace took my hand and placed his other on my waist as I rested mine on his shoulder.

"I wanted to ask you something"

"can you ask in Spanish"

"No"

"Then no you can't," I noticed a small smirk form, his eyes were shining with humour.

Jace twirled me out effortlessly, my dress swirling around me and then pulled me back in.

"Go on"

"Will you be my second in command?" I rushed out, scanning his face for his reaction.

"You're serious? What about Oliver or Caleb?"

"Do you really think I'd pick them over you? Oliver is all muscle and no brains and Caleb doesn't particularly like me that much right now. So what do you say?"