Late-night buddies Pt 2

When I finally remembered that I had to change, it felt like I'd spent too much time standing embarrassed by my foolish mistake of checking Marshall out. However, I put myself together and headed to the room Marshall'd let me stay in, a little afraid of an awkward scenario of him coming back and seeing me changing. That would have been a disaster, considering my previous defeat.

Obviously, the clothes Marshall gave me were too big but they were soft and fresh, providing me with the desired relief to feel comfortable. Finishing "the dress-up", I glanced at the clock and it showed 2 am in the morning which made me realize that it took me too long and Marshall had probably waited for me to come for years. So even though I was nervous to face him again, I left my clothes in the room and went downstairs quietly as if someone else, besides Marshall, could hear me.

My late-night buddy, if I was brave enough to call him that, was sitting on the couch in front of the TV with his back to me, and I honestly can't even explain why I felt so awkward around him all the time. He invited me to watch the documentaries but there I was just unsurely making my way to where he was sitting. As if I had to ask for permission.

'I thought that you escaped through the window' Marshall spoke, catching me off guard and turning his head to me with a nonchalant expression. 'The only thing is that my security didn't call about the strangers on the property so I believed in the theory that you got lost' one corner of his mouth made its way up at the end of the sentence, and there he was, just mocking me. Well, I deserved it.

'It's not like you provided me with any map' I answered, playing carelessly and making my way around the couch to sit on it right in front of the TV. It appeared to be that we were pretty close to each other, even though one or two people could easily sit between us. And it wouldn't have felt so strange if we hadn't been alone in that huge house.

'Suits you not that bad, though' he told me, ignoring my comment and observing my figure from the head to my toes which made me feel really uneasy. Something playful was in his glance as if all of that was entertaining for him, and I couldn't decide if that was a good sign. It must have been but with Marshall, you never knew for sure.

'Yes, thank you again' I answered seriously, hiding my eyes from his, feeling how the memory of the awkward moment in Marshall's room was hanging in the air. Marshall, on the other hand, didn't seem uncomfortable at all. 'Since you keep saying I behave like I one night stand, though, it's just a natural thing to wear your clothes' I added, feeling an urge to tease him a little. It was like walking on the razor's edge but the danger had its own beauty, encouraging me to give it a try. Oh, and the pleasant but dizzying smell of his...

'I bet you've never been someone's one-night-stand' Marshall stated, grinning a little, and I didn't know why I suddenly felt offended by it. Childishly.

'Why do you think so?'

'Well, for example, I don't treat the chicks I sleep with that well to give them my clothes because I want them gone in the morning' he raised his eyebrows as if giving me a lecture. 'It's more about that sweet couple shit that I don't do. And you definitely don't seem like someone who realizes the difference' Marshall ended smugly, proving his point. I licked my lips.

Surely, he was right, I'd never been the one to do those kinds of things he did. It's wasn't like I never wanted to have a guy for just one night, I had thoughts about it after that messy situation with Jake. But I was too wrapped up in my struggles to let it happen or maybe, I was making a big deal out of it when it had to remain "casual". Perhaps, I needed to try to see but it always seemed like not the right time.

'I'm not gonna lie about it' I pronounced truthfully, and he nodded as if appreciating the honesty. I did feel like an immature teenager in front of Marshall that wanted to look more experienced than he was for real. But deep inside I knew that it just didn't make any sense. That's why I decided not to argue.