Basketball and other no less interesting games

I was a bit disappointed with the way the next few days went by. I was trying to persuade myself that the reason for that was a lack of events but to speak the truth, that was only a consequence. The main problem was that I didn't see Marshall Mathers that much. However, that's something I preferred not to think of fooling myself with bad excuses.

Two days in a row I went to the studio to work with the driver that Paul sent for me because it turned out to be that Marshall had some personal stuff with his kids to deal with and couldn't pick me up those mornings. Paul reassured me that it was a temporary thing because he was very much confident about the fact that our rides together to work could have a huge impact on the articles I had to write. I didn't know, however, if he was aware of the "rules" that Marshall started for both of us which excluded that exact impact.

I had a chance to meet Eminem himself in the studio but those were only quick nods and small, unimportant greetings. And I wasn't really sure if he even paid attention to my presence at that point. Paul reassured me once again saying that Marshall was extra busy. And I wouldn't say I was disappointed for that kind of situation because less contact meant less nervousness and problems. But I had to admit that I would rather have some kind of interaction than nothing at all.

The good news was, however, Mr Porter or Denaun how he preferred me to call him, returned from the trip to New York and we were introduced to each other by Paul. Luckily, I did my research on the D12 thing and his producer skills which gave me a few topics to talk to him about. Denaun came across as a friendly type of person who was a good, old and loyal friend of Marshall and it was really appealing about him. As well as Royce, he was nice to me and thanks to him I listened to both of D12 albums on the weekend and actually enjoyed them.

When Monday came I was at the studio working. Around midday, I went out of my cabinet to see if I could find Denaun or Royce to have lunch together but both of them were nowhere to be seen. Paul was somewhere on the meeting and I hadn't see Marshall that day yet so I stopped near the secretary to ask her about where everyone was.

'Hey, um... Do you have any idea where I can find Royce or Denaun?' I started a conversation hesitantly looking at secretary's neutral expression. 

Her name was Camilla and Royce told me that she'd worked there for some long time and Marshall appreciated her for not talking too much and doing her job well. From my perspective, though, she looked a bit distant as if she was afraid that someone would ruin her personal space. Being a pretty woman, I wondered what Camilla's personality was like.

'Yes, I do' she answered quietly raising her glance at me and brushing her hand through the blond hair in habitual motion. How did it remain so perfectly shaped every time?

'So, will you open to me this horrible secret?' I tried to give her a small friendly smile but judging by her expression she wasn't really feeling it. I shouldn't have tried.

'Mr Mathers, Mr Denaun and Mr Royce are on the basketball court behind the building. They are having a break' the way she pronounced that was almost humiliating. Her glance was attentive but unpleasant as if she suspected me of some criminal actions, so I had an urge to escape the secretary's presence as soon as possible.

'Thanks' I mumbled awkwardly and made my way to the exit in order to find the mysterious court. What was wrong with her? Or did I have some problems with my communication skills since they didn't work with Eminem either?

It got me a little uneasy that Marshall would be there but I hadn't seen him all weekend and hadn't talked to him since photoshoot. I'm not gonna lie I was hoping to do that. Also, asking Royce and Denaun to go with me on lunch was a perfect cover.

When I found the basketball court all three of them were already there. I could hear some swearing as the game between them was going hard. Marshall's slim but strong figure in a sleeveless black shirt and shorts was fast and ruthless while Royce and Denaun were trying to create some competition for him. All of them were a bit sweaty but serious and focused on the game as if they were playing an NBA match. Kids.