Remembering his smile.

19. Remembering His Smile.

(This is a flashback of Cassie's 20th birthday and she got a bit drunk)

"Dammit Cassie be quiet or we'll get caught." Adam whispered to me as a plead to silence my bubbly giggles.

"What if I wanna get caught?" I took a sip of my pomegranate and raspberry wine cooler and released another fit of giggles past my lips.

Adam took the bottle of alcohol away from me and threw it against a rock. The sound of the glass smashing filled my ears along with the sound of incoming waves.

A pout took over my face and I stared at the delicious liquid while it dripped down the jagged edges. Such a waste of perfectly good alcohol.

Adam noticed my change in mood because he walked over to me and smirked before grabbing my waist and pushing me into him. He looked into my eyes momentarily then lifted my chin and placed a kiss on my lips. I felt his tongue graze over my lip but instead of making contact with my open mouth he pulled away.

"You taste like the fourth of july." Adam turned away then grabbed my hand lacing his fingers with my mine.

The sand beneath us went between our toes, earth's tiny molecules giving our sore from running feet a comfort. Each step we took we could feel it slipping backwards while our toes slipped in.

"Cassie I love you but I'm not running away from anyone tonight so please be quiet."

"Don't worry about anyone. They've already gone home. We're safe and it's like two in the morning." Adam shook his head and looked above one of the rocks searching for cars.

"Look, no sign of headlights and you can't hear anyone at all. All you can hear is the way your heart beats like a little baby."

I started to wander past him and try to live in the moment when my body was lifted from the chilled sand.

I wrapped my legs around Adam's chest as he started spinning me around.

The waves and the rocks blended together and the slight breeze blew between my hair giving me a whiff of the beachy air.

Adam placed me down on wet sand and we stood there staring at the vast space in front of us. The moonlight reflected on the surface of the water and lit up his face.

I took a moment to stare at his beauty. Such a profound and memorizing image that I would forever remember. He had a smile on his face that made my heart bubble and his blue-grey eyes with a hint of brown seemed to light up the dark sky more than the stars.

"I love you," I softly spoke. I felt those words tumble from my lips before I even noticed they were on the tip of my tongue dripping layers of passion and swirling with emotion.

Everything seemed to freeze and the air began to crisp. My skin became frigid and a shudder erupted from my whole body. I was terrified.

Sure we have said 'I love you' before but this felt so different. So real and honest.

Adam's eyes began to blink and then he turned his head and spoke four very dangerous and violent words I'd heard many times but they never seemed as sincere as the way they sounded now laced with Adam's voice.

"I love you, too."

A wave of water rushed up past our grounded feet then back down. The water eddied the sand around our toes, tickling our skin with its freezing water and sucked us deeper into the ground. In a way, that moment seemed to resemble the rush of relief that dripped down my body, slowly, then all at once.

Adam grabbed a firm hold on my hips then our lips impacted. A bomb ignited in my body making me press even harder against Adam and him to take hold of my hair pulling me closer. He made me want more and more of him.

Adam pulled away momentarily to mumble words against my lips. "The fire that dances along your lips makes you dangerous."

"Why is that?" I ask with a laugh finding his sentence humorous.

"It makes you addictive, it makes me constantly crave your skin."

My stomach swelled up and I was about to respond when the rumbling of an engine could be heard and headlights lit up the space between us.

"Shhh someones coming, Run!"

• • •

After everything tonight gave me I know that the small phrases we spoke to each other were honest and binded with love. Also I know that we both were devoted to each other, consumed with lust for each other, and intoxicated by each other.